RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio - A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 2:30 PM

Smile SDR Trunk Decodes P25 (P1) in Linux, Works Fine!

DSheirer, I Got It Decoding Perfectly in Linux Mint (after fighting with ANT and JMBE installs for hours) I finally just installed Ant with the Synaptic package mgr and voila. JMBE wouldn't give me a Jar file until then either, but swearing was very helpful. Hooray! It Works Fine. Very Useable clean audio too. You Da Man! 100% perfect decoded audio. This is what I wanted.

fonestar, I had this too, you might have to click the drop down arrow in Channels (Source Tab) to Tuner and Enable it in the box below. Also, I had to click on the R820T box itself (Tuner Config/Tuner Type) in the Tuners Main Tab in order for it to activate and actually start working. My R820T is now showing up there but greyed out and I can't click anything but it is working fine. I also find that the SDR stick will lock up on occasion if it loosens contact grip in the USB port and need to be unplugged and replugged, or a Linux reboot will unlock it.

Last edited by RF-Guy-El-Loco; 01-12-2018 at 2:38 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2018, 3:33 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonestar View Post
Thanks Denny I am not sure how I missed that. Okay... so I have sdr-trunk up and running but for whatever reason, my RTL2832 is not being identified under "Tuners" and everything there is greyed out. Any ideas? The RTL2832 works fine under GQRX.
The application will log if it sees the RTL tuner on startup, or if there was an error loading it. Can you either post a screen shot of the logging from the command window during startup, or can you post your application log. It should be in your home directory under: /SDRTrunk/logs/sdrtrunk_app.log.

I'm guessing that you had to install a UDEV rule for the tuner in order to use it under GQRX?

Denny
Old 01-13-2018, 9:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF-Guy-El-Loco View Post
I see the talk groups are in hex, (From/To) that's what threw me. I was wishing that they could list out in decimal form. Everything I relate to talk groups is in decimals.
There's a ticket to add support for toggling between hex and decimal formats. It requires a good bit of code change, but it's on the to-do list. You can subscribe for notifications to find out when the ticket is finished here: https://github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk/issues/40

Denny
Old 01-13-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSheirer View Post
The application will log if it sees the RTL tuner on startup, or if there was an error loading it. Can you either post a screen shot of the logging from the command window during startup, or can you post your application log. It should be in your home directory under: /SDRTrunk/logs/sdrtrunk_app.log.

I'm guessing that you had to install a UDEV rule for the tuner in order to use it under GQRX?

Denny

Hi Denny It works!! Thank-you so much. Also, I don't remember having to add a UDEV rule under GQRX but I rebooted my machine and now, with the jar files all in the same directory P25 audio is coming through.

One quick question... On my Realistic PRO-96 you can just put the control channel of the P25 system into it and it will monitor all of the P25 talk groups there. Does sdr-trunk work the same way? Or can I only listen to one frequency at a time? Many thanks...
Old 01-13-2018, 4:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
One quick question... On my Realistic PRO-96 you can just put the control channel of the P25 system into it and it will monitor all of the P25 talk groups there. Does sdr-trunk work the same way? Or can I only listen to one frequency at a time? Many thanks...
It works mostly the exact same way. Setup the control channel for decoding and it will will automatically create additional channels and decoders as each call/channel is allocated to a talkgroup. Unlike your scanner however, it will continue to decode the control channel during each call so that it can detect other calls that happen simultaneously.

You can run as many decoder channels simultaneously as your computer cpu/memory will support, so you're not just limited to a single P25 control channel.

You can also right-click on the audio playback panel and change from mono to stereo playback, so you can hear calls in both the left speaker and right speakers.

Denny
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
It works mostly the exact same way. Setup the control channel for decoding and it will will automatically create additional channels and decoders as each call/channel is allocated to a talkgroup. Unlike your scanner however, it will continue to decode the control channel during each call so that it can detect other calls that happen simultaneously.

You can run as many decoder channels simultaneously as your computer cpu/memory will support, so you're not just limited to a single P25 control channel.

You can also right-click on the audio playback panel and change from mono to stereo playback, so you can hear calls in both the left speaker and right speakers.

Denny
Hi Denny this is great, thank-you so much. Are there any plans to add more modulation schemes, technologies to the program in future releases?
Old 01-15-2018, 4:49 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Hi Denny this is great, thank-you so much. Are there any plans to add more modulation schemes, technologies to the program in future releases?
Yes! But, it's all limited by my spare time availability.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Look into op25. It now does P25, DMR, D-Star and Fusion.

Advancing Ham Radio.. different ideas: Listening to DMR on the Rasperry Pi3 with op25 and a SDR
Old 01-30-2018, 5:08 PM

Talking SDR Trunk Program Linux Comments/Ideas

Denny, I have really dug into the SDR Trunk program the last few days. You really made this thing shine, the huge amount of work that went into creating this baby, this is the program I would have created myself. A Tip of my (tin foil) Hat. After slogging thru the Linux install, and after RTFM! this program is "Boss Man." I told Linux Mint to "Execute this File As A Program" and open with Java JDK 7 under the Permissions tab for the SDR-Trunk 3.3 beta (Jar file) itself and made a link for it onto the desktop. Then I opened it from an old directory (in error) and I lost all my aliases and had no audio, and pulled my hair out. Ha, can't fix the user's own PEBCAK ! After fixing my own stupidity, the program works great again! My Chief Engineer once put on a full pot of water into the coffee maker one morning, then put the (now empty) pot onto the counter right Next to the coffee machine and walked back to his office. 5 mins later, I walked into the kitchen, found the sizzling Hot Coffee burning up the counter, smoking the floor tiles, scorching the cabinets below. Luckily, no electrical fire, as the GFCI immediately blew. As the smoke alarms went off, I called him on the phone, "Hey Bob did you make the coffee this morning... well ...its done now. And please call the fire department."

I like the Alias Icons in your program too, so cool. I also like the Audio/ID Priority. This is the killer app of this program. The ability to kill off unwanted Talkgroups and not have to monitor the City Buss channels and ENC channels and be able to put a particular value-of-interest rating on the rest. This pretty much turns it into a real scanner. And the ability to record, but I haven't run that yet. I have my RS Pro-652 on the same system (ISP SC21-Kane Site), and your SDR Trunk program is nearly 100% duplicating what I have programmed into that scanner, with identical audio decoding (no robotic voices at all). Oh it works so good. DSD Plus couldn't do that. This is on a self built Intel I-5 4590 using about 10-20% CPU load on one P-25 system running Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa. Running off one NESDR Smart SDR dongle with a small mag mount 800 Mhz antenna.

When you get free time, we need a way to Stop the Event Scroll, so we can go back. Also is there a way to Save your (Alias) Data Sets, so we can load up the Alias Data File Set onto another computer and not have to start over and relabel all the TGs, etc? Also a "Hold" on onto a specific Talkgroup, but I do realize this may be asking the impossible, as I only "Hold" onto a TG probably 10% of the time. But it really is an incredible progam once you figure it all out. You Have a Real Winner. This is as close to a $350 digital scanner as were ever gonna get. Thank You for putting your heart and (your brain) into SDR Trunk!
Old 01-31-2018, 3:21 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad it's working good for you.

There are open issues in the bug tracker for adding a pause capability to the event window and for holding on the current talkgroup. Those will be coming soon.

If you want to use your playlist (channels/aliases) on another computer:
1) start sdtrunk on the new computer at least once to create the default files/folders
2) copy the playlist_v2.xml file from the original computer and overwrite the same file on the new computer.
If you use menu: File > Logs & Recordings - this will open a file browser to your sdrtrunk folder in your home directory. The playlist_v2.xml file is in the 'playlist' folder.
Old 02-01-2018, 6:57 AM

Talking Copying SDR Trunk PlayList Files to Other Computers

Denny, Thank you. I figured out where the files were kept. I got it running fine on two Windows 7 PCs now and copied the Playlist folders over and it is so slick. Barely using 40% of the (I-3) CPUs, but eats almost 2 Gig of Ram itself, so 6 Gig total Ram will work. I also tried it on an old T400 Thinkpad with Core2 Duo 2.53Ghz and with 3 Traffic Pools going it just Overloads that laptop. It doesn't rev up the chip much but that's with the JMBE audio decoder running audio too, so a low end I-3 Processor (4 core) or more would be needed. I have others to try.

Also, I didn't realize that I was missing traffic until I plugged in a 2nd Smart RTL-SDR 2832 stick to both PCs. And now, Holy smokes, it is multi-decoding the whole system faster than my scanners do! I need about 5 Mhz total bandwith for the ISP's P-25 Starcom21 (Kane Site) system, they run 11 freqs and they will fill up capacity during peak times. The real magic is that Both tuners find their proper spot and work Exactly-As-Needed without any messing around. How'd you do that? Magic. I only need P-25 Phase I for now, but the Priority Audio slider is the best! A scanner can't even do this weighting trick, you would need 3 or more of them to not miss calls. Almost like you can listen to your favorite pick (at any given moment) of your "weighted favorites" and not just the Talkgroup that the Scanner happens to land on. That itself is so amazing. Some real advanced deep thinking went into this feature, as I can train it to skip off one or two live talkgroup channels for a 2nd or 3rd talkgroup channel more important to me right now. How'd you do that? The Do Not Monitor Audio Priority is amazing! I also found the left/right audio assign works great, and even a volume adjust per Talkgroup too, (Very useable as TG audio levels vary). Also the Action function in Aliases, Beep, Play Clip, and I can make my own Icons for things, just plain unbelievable tweaks to be found here. I tried the recording function, works fine, but I shut off all the loggings as I ended up with over 1 Gig of log files. This is such a Brilliant and Professionally crafted advanced program, you must write these things for the Public Service entities themselves. We need to clone your brain.

Last edited by RF-Guy-El-Loco; 02-01-2018 at 7:27 AM..
Old 02-04-2018, 5:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're trying to build/compile the software ... there is already a pre-compiled release version ready for download: https://github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk/releases

If you follow the instructions on the release page, or on the sdrtrunk home page, it says to download the .jar release file and simply run it.

If you find that the instructions are not clear or could be reworded, please let me know and I'll update them to make it easier for everyone.

cheers,
Denny
I am a newbie in Linux. I downloaded the sdr-trunk-all-0.3.3-beta.3.jar file, as well as Java version 9. What now? I put all the files in a common folder; I tried running the command in Terminal that is descried on the releases page, but I get this:

The program 'java' can be found in the following packages:
* default-jre
* gcj-5-jre-headless
* openjdk-8-jre-headless
* gcj-4.8-jre-headless
* gcj-4.9-jre-headless
* openjdk-9-jre-headless
Try: sudo apt install <selected package>

I am trying to install in Linux Mint on a laptop with dual boot; Windows 10 and Linux mint.
Old 02-04-2018, 5:51 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This is the how-to that I usually follow when I'm changing/upgrading java versions:

https://www.wikihow.com/Install-Orac...n-Ubuntu-Linux

I'm not sure if the same applies to Linux Mint. I'm running kubuntu.

I'd recommend downloading Oracle's Java 9. I think some users ran into problems when they were trying to use openJDK.

Denny
Old 02-05-2018, 12:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I got SDRTrunk up and running under Linux Mint. However, when attempting to decode P25 Phase 1, I get no audio. I know it's working because there's trunked system data under the Details, Events, and Messages tabs. Probably just user error

I do get audio when monitoring NOAA weather channels, so I don't think it's a sound card issue.
Old 02-05-2018, 6:59 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KRR View Post
when attempting to decode P25 Phase 1, I get no audio
You'll need the JMBE audio library if you want decoded audio from your P25 channels:

https://github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk/wiki/APCO25_V0.3.0
https://github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk/wiki/JMBE
Old 02-05-2018, 9:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
You'll need the JMBE audio library if you want decoded audio from your P25 channels:

https://github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk/wiki/APCO25_V0.3.0
https://github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk/wiki/JMBE
According to my setup, JMBE is successfully loaded. I watched a setup video of the program in operation. My issue is that under "Now Playing / State", I can see the control channel, but there are never any granted calls appearing under the control channel, as shown in the video I watched.

In the "Details/Events/Messages" tabs at the bottom, I can see all kinds of trunked data, talkgroups, radio ID's, etc. But no voice calls ever appear under the "Now Playing" screen.

Could this be an issue with the bandwidth available in the program? The system I am trying to decode has the control channel at 858.xxxx MHz, but most of the voice channels are around 852 and 853.xxxx, which is a spread of more than 5 MHz. Could this be the issue?
Old 02-06-2018, 3:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KRR View Post
Could this be an issue with the bandwidth available in the program? The system I am trying to decode has the control channel at 858.xxxx MHz, but most of the voice channels are around 852 and 853.xxxx, which is a spread of more than 5 MHz. Could this be the issue?
Ken, depending on which SDR tuner(s) you're using, yes this could be a problem. sdrtrunk will keep the control channel tuned and will follow traffic channels if they fit within the sample rate/bandwidth of the tuner. You may need to add a second tuner to cover your traffic channel frequencies.

Are you seeing 'Call' events in the Events tab? The details column will say 'No tuner available' if a call was detected but couldn't be granted because of the tuner.

Denny
Old 02-06-2018, 4:25 AM

Post SDR Trunk Linux & Win 7 OS Setups

W4KRR, you will likely need at least three RTL-SDR sticks, the spread is too far, you're 100% correct. You need a full 6 Mhz range, so that will be 3 cheapo SDR sticks, or you'll be swearing. I need two for my near 5 Mhz freq spread, but I don't use over a 2.4 Mhz Sample Rate, I didn't have good luck.The second SDR stick+ is automatically "found" by the program and they set themselves after you get the first one working. But don't mess with the frequencies in the Tuner fields, the program itself does that for you. I run them with the small mag mount antennas (included with some SDRs) on top of my scanners and set Master Gain (Tuners field) for "Automatic" setting for the first one. With two sticks, they set themselves and you can't mess. Works fine in my basement like this, just on these small antennas. Works better than my scanners do on P-25 like that with better antennas too. Denny Built a better (RF) mousetrap. Says a great deal about his program.

I also had to switch the decoder in the Decoder/Modulation fields. I ran P-25 Normal C4FM and I got nothing much in the Details field under Now Playing. Not updating Events field much. I had to use Simulcast (LSM) mode in order to fix it, then it worked right. I also need to click on the actual Control Bar/P-25 Decoder field in the Now Playing area, and click on the Tuner in the Tuner field to get it all rolling right. After various setups, you will need at least a 4 core processor, or it will bog and put the calls into a time warp. On an I-3 (2130) low end PC I use about 10-20% of the CPU now. But it will just bog down on a standard Dual Core PC. It ramps up to use about 1-2 Gig of Ram over base ram and if you check on the logging boxes, prepare for Gigs of log files.

Well, I have more info from days of various OS installs. The Open JDK Java 8 or 9 (Linux versions) seemed to be iffy. I tried a few times with Open JDK 8 and 9 (headless) in the Ubuntu Mate Synaptic repos and the related files, and while it said Java was installed, the program wouldn't start for me. I used Synaptic and uninstalled both, then re-installed just Open 8 JDK, but it seemed confused. Said that Java was installed per my query. This was on a pure Ubuntu Mate PC. I then just got the real IBM/Java 9 version, (you have to tick the legal terms box too) and the thing just worked. On another Linux Mint (Rosa) computer, it works perfect using Open JDK Java 7 runtime. But I did run into issues everywhere with the installs, even on a few Windows machines. Works best to follow Denny's instructions. I did have it running on a Linux laptop and could not get P-25 decoding working after hours of various file re-do's, just NBFM. My error was that I didn't get the "Ant" program after Java and run that "Ant" command. So it couldn't compile the JMBE files and the batch download would error out. I had just copied the JMBE folders from another Linux install (thinking that would work) but it never compiled it. But first, you have to install Java (the JDK vers), and add it to your environment variables and a have a ref to it in your Path field (Windows) or the next steps won't work either, and you will get confused. Next you must install the "Ant" program in either OS, or you will also get a different error message in the Denny's JMBE download. If Java was installed right and "Ant" was installed right, it will do the JMBE compile (takes about 20 secs, in a terminal window while on the internet) and it should work in either OS. Wait for that to finish. I didn't have to add Java to my Linux bash file, but in Windows, yes it has to be added to the Path string at the end.

The Windows (7 & 8.1) boxes always will always fight with you with the RTL-SDR proper driver issue. I used Zadig, but a few times I had to reload those drivers a second/third time as Windows Lost its mind and said it had a "Unknown Device" a few times when I tried to plug in a RTL-SDR stick. And don't jiggle it! Then Windows will unload the driver for you! (Ahh, Windows) You need the driver loaded for each "Bulk Interface" stick you plan to use and even if you're using a USB hub, reload the Zadig driver for that RTL stick on that USB 4 port hub too. You need to plug them in before you open the SDR Trunk program. If you don't see a Tuner listed to use, Windows isn't finding your RTL-SDR stick! Reload the Zadig driver. Again. Unplug/Replug the RTL-SDR stick. In Linux Mint & Ubuntu Mate the drivers load automatically, but I did have the GQRX program installed first on each one of these Linux installs, so that program's files might be helpful in Linux installs. I did have a problem with finding the Ant executable file, in Windows, and you Must install the "Ant" program first per directions (after you install Java) or the next steps won't work either. In Linux, I just used Synaptic and asked to install "Ant" and then the rest of the steps worked. But I had put various "Ant" files all over various directories in Linux. Follow the directions, makes life easier. It is an Incredible program, once setup in any Linux distro or Windows. A complex setup, but so worth it. The P-25 Audio decode is flawless. Da Man Is A Total Genius.
Old 02-06-2018, 5:29 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for the info! Looks like I have more work to do.

I found that setting the modulation to "LSM" seems to hold the control channel better than using "C4FM". If I use "C4FM", the control channel frequently changes from "Control" to "Fade" and "Idle". I don't know why it would do that; the system I'm trying to get is nearby and the control channel is strong and steady.

In the "Messages" and "Events" tabs, I gets lots of scrolling data; I will check to see if there's any "No Tuner Available" messages.

I will try adding a second tuner to see if that makes any difference. Processor and RAM might be issues also; it's an Intel i5 with 4gb of RAM on a laptop that has dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint. SDRTrunk is set up in Linux.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:26 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default UPDATE: Working!

UPDATE: I added a second RTL-SDR dongle, and now it's working.

Thanks to DSheirer and RF-Guy-El-Loco!

Three more issues:

1. I am trying to set up aliases. If I click on the "Aliases" tab, where do I enter the talkgroup, and where do I enter the text for it? For example, I want to label talkgroup 13EB police dispatch. I entered "Police Dispatch" under Alias/Name, and "13EB" under "Alias/Group", but this doesn't work.

2. Sometimes, but not always, when I exit the program and re-start it, all of my previous settings are gone. Any way to save everything?

3. Can I hold on and monitor a single talkgroup?