RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio - A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2018, 7:33 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exclamation NEW CTX-10 CommRadio HF Transceiver

I'm pleased to share the first 'sighting' of the new CTX-10 HF Transceiver. The link to the first YouTube video showing the CTX-10 in operation is at: CommRadio div. AeroStream Communication CR-1, CR-1a Wide Range Receivers

I've been told that other videos are in process and will be posted shortly within the next few days.

I know there are quite a few pre-orders placed. Thank you Don Moore for all your hard work!

Bob
WB2KTG
Sponsored links
Old 01-24-2018, 12:13 PM

I'm very curious about this radio, I had a CR-1 and it was an ok little receiver. However, looking at the features vs the price and looking at its competition the CTX-10 will have to be a stellar performer to justify the price.

Take for example the Elecraft KX2. Its also a 10W radio that weighs 13oz, is super low power consumption and for about the same price will come with an internal wide range auto antenna tuner. Its also has dozens of features the CTX-10 does not seem to have like being able to send and receive PSK and RTTY right from the radio without a computer and dual split receivers (over a narrow range) and infinitely variable pass band tuning and auto notch filters and a built in mic or external hand mic and all modes including FM and preamps and 8 band TX and RX equalizers and so on. Its also got well known world class performance on both transmit and receive plus a huge network of engineering and service people to support it.

If the CTX-10 can compete with the likes of a KX2 then it may have a reasonable amount of sales. If it doesn't then word gets around fast in the amateur community and sales could dwindle to nothing if it turns out other radios that cost the same or less beats the pants off the CTX-10 and have more features.

I need another HF radio like I need another hole in the head but I am curious and will be waiting to hear first comments on this one. If Don wants to know how it will fare with similar priced radios like the KX2 I would be willing to field test one and give honest feedback.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB2KTG View Post
I'm pleased to share the first 'sighting' of the new CTX-10 HF Transceiver. The link to the first YouTube video showing the CTX-10 in operation is at: CommRadio div. AeroStream Communication CR-1, CR-1a Wide Range Receivers

I've been told that other videos are in process and will be posted shortly within the next few days.

I know there are quite a few pre-orders placed. Thank you Don Moore for all your hard work!

Bob
WB2KTG
Old 01-29-2018, 9:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I too am curious about the CTX-10. I've yet to find the 'perfect' radio, either receiver or transceiver. Just like a spouse, many look exciting from afar, but when you actually start turning the knobs (better not go there...), when you start using the equipment (better shut this down totally). When you actually have spent some time with a new radio, you discover it's strength and weaknesses. Appearance and 'wow factor' definitely add to my enjoyment also. For my taste, the KX2 and KX3 have too many bells and whistles, too many nuances of functionality, all wrapped up in an uninspired package. Electrically top notch, but not ruggedized to any extent, and from what I've read about requiring external heat sinks and the like, perhaps with marginal design safety factor. That's just my take, having played with them but never owned one.

I've never operated a CTX-10, but from what I understand it is designed using some of the same philosophy as the CR-1 and CR-1a. Ruggedness is built-in. The die-cast magnesium case provides a high strength, light weight, ruggedized heat-sink, allowing essentially indefinite operation without overheating. Is pretty well dust sealed and shock / vibration resistant. Internal lithium battery pack and internal ATU come as standard equipment. Also, you don't need a PhD to learn all of the submenu options, etc. Kind of like the same philosophy as one of my favorite receivers of all time, the Racal 6790 - you don't need 463 knobs and adjustments 'cause it just works! Can't wait to 'kick the CTX-10's tires'!
Old 01-30-2018, 12:29 PM

I had a CR-1 and thought the menu system was cumbersome to find a polite word. Its performance seemed ok and it was somewhat rugged, but if you dropped it on its face you might be replacing the encoder or volume control. I bought it on a whim and with all the other radios I have it was eventually sold off in favor of others. I will say the CR-1 was a good receiver and the retail price was at the very extreme upper end for what it offered.

I also own the Elecraft KX2 and KX3, where the KX2 will be a direct competitor of the TX-10. A similar equipped KX2 will be around the same price. For $78 more you get aftermarket SideKX side panels with protective handles and a Lexan cover for the radio face. I can guarantee this setup is many times more rugged than a CR-1 type radio and you can easily drop a KX2 with side panels on any side onto concrete from a table and walk away with only scratches and a working radio. Unless some front panel protection is added, I can't say the same about a CR-1 type radio.

Then there are the features. A KX2 type radio can seem daunting at first, but you don't have to use any menus or features if you don't want to. In its basic form everything you need is right at your fingertips and you don't have to dig into menus, its actually easier to use than a CR-1. Take for instance the auto antenna tuner, on the KX2 you simply tune your frequency' push the tune button and transmit. I don't see a tune button on the CTX-10 and wonder what you must do to tune? Select your freq then dig through menus then tune then navigate back out to continue?

I also like to get really good and punchy transmit audio from all my radios, and especially QRP level radios. Setting up the transmit audio and compression on the KX series radios makes them sound much louder than 10W. If there are no similar adjustments on the CTX-10 you are stuck with the sound of the stock mic, and I own stock Yaesu mics which the CTX-10 seems to use and they sound terrible. Everyone I had needed a Heil HC-5 element to perk up the radio and those elements are no longer available.

I could go on for many more pages on comparisons, so I will finish with this. I am considering buying a CTX-10 mostly out of curiosity. I have a lot of field experience with commercial and military portable QRP radios, a lot of people know me and I have a big mouth. If Don can produce a radio that makes me happy then the world will hear about it in a good way. If a competing radio at a similar price greatly outperforms it then the world will hear about it in a not so good way. I would also offer my radio to Rob Sherwood for evaluation and depending on where it lands in pecking order on his site it can help or hurt sales. I really hope I can share good news about the CTX-10 in the near future.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB2KTG View Post
I too am curious about the CTX-10. I've yet to find the 'perfect' radio, either receiver or transceiver. Just like a spouse, many look exciting from afar, but when you actually start turning the knobs (better not go there...), when you start using the equipment (better shut this down totally). When you actually have spent some time with a new radio, you discover it's strength and weaknesses. Appearance and 'wow factor' definitely add to my enjoyment also. For my taste, the KX2 and KX3 have too many bells and whistles, too many nuances of functionality, all wrapped up in an uninspired package. Electrically top notch, but not ruggedized to any extent, and from what I've read about requiring external heat sinks and the like, perhaps with marginal design safety factor. That's just my take, having played with them but never owned one.

I've never operated a CTX-10, but from what I understand it is designed using some of the same philosophy as the CR-1 and CR-1a. Ruggedness is built-in. The die-cast magnesium case provides a high strength, light weight, ruggedized heat-sink, allowing essentially indefinite operation without overheating. Is pretty well dust sealed and shock / vibration resistant. Internal lithium battery pack and internal ATU come as standard equipment. Also, you don't need a PhD to learn all of the submenu options, etc. Kind of like the same philosophy as one of my favorite receivers of all time, the Racal 6790 - you don't need 463 knobs and adjustments 'cause it just works! Can't wait to 'kick the CTX-10's tires'!
Old 01-31-2018, 4:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Is that it?

The minimal information of that display is a little "millennium" by today's standards. It's not much better that that of an FT-817 - a 17 year old design. Expectations are now for more display real estate, clearer menus and more on-screen information. They could have put a much bigger screen on that as it is. The screen-printing words and logo take up as much of that front panel,as does the display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmFPQJRkb5s
Sponsored links

Tags
commradio, ctx-10, digital modes, hf transceiver