Where can I host large WAV files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE7IZL

I've got a large (several hundred megabytes) file from recording the full bandwidth of RF from my SDR setup. I would like to share it here, but there's no way to attach a file that large to any post here. Also, all of the free file hosting sites I have found have size limits of usually 100MB to 200MB, but my file is even bigger than that. Even Mediafire, which is the main file host I use, has a limit of 200MB for free users, and you need to pay to have them lift that limit. I don't want to have to pay for file hosting, to share this really awesome file with you guys here on RRef. I also would prefer to not run an HTTP or FTP server on my own PC and share it, as that potentially leaves a way for hackers to get on your computer.

So the big question is this. Is anybody here on RRef aware of any free file hosting site on the internet, that has unlimited file size hosting (or at least hosting for files up to 700MB in size) for free users?

MysterAitch

What is it you want to do with the files? Offer them out for others to download, or is it just uploading/sharing for others to listen to?

If the latter then streaming sites would work well. It would also group the files together under your account and allow others to listen to one then "discover" your other uploads, thereby boosting the number of people listening a little.

In terms of specifics, SoundCloud has free hosting for upto 3hrs of audio / 5gb files. There are likely other audio-specific streaming sites available too.

Alternatively, YouTube could work well if you're happy to convert it to a video - pretty easy to do using free software (e.g. music on there often has cover art or some other pretty image showing while the music plays).

I'm not sure if either (formally) allow others to download the files you upload, though this might be a non-issue as it's unclear if you need this option.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

KE7IZL

What is it you want to do with the files? Offer them out for others to download, or is it just uploading/sharing for others to listen to?

If the latter then streaming sites would work well. It would also group the files together under your account and allow others to listen to one then "discover" your other uploads, thereby boosting the number of people listening a little.

I don't think any streaming site can handle a raw WAV file with 6.25 million samples per second. You see, my SDR raw signal WAV file is 6.25 MSPS sample rate, and each sample is a 2-byte integer, and with it almost 1 minute long, the file is nearly 700MB in size. So it's an absolutely huge file, and streaming is not an option. With 6.25MSPS as the sample rate, and 16 bits-per-sample, that gives you a data rate of 100 million bits per second! That is the absolute maximum data rate of a typical 100 MbPS ethernet LAN adapter. That would max-out whatever streaming server was being used, assuming their ISP even allowed that kind of data rate from their customers. Most ISPs allow their customers a maximum data rate of about 12 MbPS, or maybe 50 MbPS if they are using a fiber-optic ISP (such as FiOS). Even major companies like Youtube, which might have a special contract with their ISP in order to have access to ultra high data rate lines of 100 MbPS or more, would use those lines to support multiple simultaneous website users watching videos, not to support a single website user sending raw SDR data.

So streaming is absolutely out of the question. A file hosting site is the only way to go here.

Status
Not open for further replies.