SDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

flborror

Premium Subscriber
Looking for suggestions on the best way to start learning SDR and any good recommendations on where and what to buy

AC9BX

Receive only or transmit? For receiving you can get a $15 (or less) USB dongle and use free software such as SDR Sharp. There are better dongles. www.rtl-sdr.com is a good place to start and the dongle they market is notably better for just a few extra dollars. Above that I'd recommend Air Spy, which is where you find that software. Above that you can easily get into several hundred dollars and into thousands.

The simple cheap dongle works very well. It's when you try to do specific things over its limitations where you need something better. It does not have a stable oscillator and overloads easily. As an experimenter's tool (toy), exploring, or casual listening it's great. With a top quality computer sound card you have never heard the FM broadcast band sound so good. With 2 of them you have a software controlled scanner using Unitrunker. They're helpful in locating interfering signals, examining occupied bandwidth, gathering trunking details, monitoring air craft locations (typically requires a better unit like Air Spy), browsing ham bands, etc. etc.

For amateur transceiver use you're quickly going to get into more expensive gear.

wssr.png

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
Start with a cheap one and figure it out. Once you have a good idea what you are getting into then see if investing in a higher quality one will be right for you.

I have a couple different ones, I suggest that you start with the RDL-SDR or similar for about $20 each. Follow the instructions from AC9BX above, he is right on target.

BTW, I am moving this to the SDR forum, it is more appropriate there.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Good question with good answers. Ditto what the previous commenters recommend, start with an SDR dongle, familiarize yourself with the software available, e.g. SDR#, HDSDR, and go from there. Those little dongles pack a lot of listening punch for the money.

Suggest buying your dongle from a reputable company such as Nooelec (see their website for more info).

Tons of YouTube videos on this subject, pick some recent ones and have a look.

Good luck with this endeavor, it will be lots of fun.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Receive only or transmit? For receiving you can get a $15 (or less) USB dongle and use free software such as SDR Sharp. There are better dongles. www.rtl-sdr.com is a good place to start and the dongle they market is notably better for just a few extra dollars. Above that I'd recommend Air Spy, which is where you find that software. Above that you can easily get into several hundred dollars and into thousands.

I agree with the above except in minor wording like when you say it "does not have a stable oscillator and overloads easily", I would change that to "more expensive SDRs will have a more stable oscillator and be less prone to overload". Good cheap SDRs have a "fairly" stable oscillator and much of the time overload is due to operator error in settings (commonly setting it for too high gain). More expensive SDR do have a better dynamic range largely getting rid of the overload. In regard to ADSB, one might mis-read the above as saying a cheap dongle will not work for ADS-B but it will (but not as well as more expensive SDR). But the advice above it very good and my comments are somewhat nit picking how people might mis-read the advice.

I have various cheap dongles, AirSpy (my favorite), AirSpy Mini, AirSpy HF+, and SDRPlay RSP2 Pro and sometimes find software that requires me to use the cheap dongle. I would though add to get an FM broadcast band blocker for when trying to receive signals outside that band, blocking that band will help in many locations by blocking strong signals that will de-sense the SDR.

Voyager

The only consistent issue is Win10 replacing the correct drivers with the incorrect ones when updating the OS.

AC9BX

The only consistent issue is Win10 replacing the correct drivers with the incorrect ones when updating the OS.

One way around that for Windows 10, Pro users can edit group policy or registry to exclude drivers from updates, home users will only have the registry edit available

In Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc):
Computer Config > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
"Do not include drivers with Windows Updates" - set to enabled.

Or in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate set to 1
If the setting isn't there which is likely in Home edition create a new DWORD

Blunt630

One way around that for Windows 10, Pro users can edit group policy or registry to exclude drivers from updates, home users will only have the registry edit available

In Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc):
Computer Config > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
"Do not include drivers with Windows Updates" - set to enabled.

Or in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate set to 1
If the setting isn't there which is likely in Home edition create a new DWORD
Do you think it would be easier to run using Ubuntu Linux instead of Windows 10?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

AC9BX

Do you think it would be easier to run using Ubuntu Linux instead of Windows 10?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

It very well may be. But some may need to use Windows for one reason or another. Nowhere near all Windows software works with Linux. Sometimes stuff is supported well in Linux, better than Windows, some isn't. It's certainly worth looking in to. My favorite is Xubuntu. But I also use Windows 10.

boatbod

It very well may be. But some may need to use Windows for one reason or another. Nowhere near all Windows software works with Linux. Sometimes stuff is supported well in Linux, better than Windows, some isn't. It's certainly worth looking in to. My favorite is Xubuntu. But I also use Windows 10.
It all depends what your coMmonly used applications are. For example my primary os has been ubuntu for about 5 years now. It works for everything I use on a daily basis, but when I absolutely have to use Windows, I run it in a virtual machine under ubuntu.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If your going to spend 20.00 for a good dongle, and end up liking it, and getting a second, check out the Noo Elec smart dongles fit side by side in tightly spaced usb environments . I run 2 and love them. I had to use a usb hub when I used the cheap china dongles and have to use a cable with my airspy...

p3nt4g0n

Premium Subscriber
Well i can say i was a newbie to the sdr game and I bought a AirSpy sdr and hooked up to an bnc adapter to the unit and connected my Radio Shack 800mhz antenna on. My last two locations I lived worked really well with that set up. Very basic. I ran UniTrunker for two systems that were close enough to scan together. Then I used DSD + configured correctly to decode the signals. Then after that I used Trunking Recording to save and database and store my recordings. There are other ways of doing it but this is the way I currently monitor and I am very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.