SDR vs SDS100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plectron25

Premium Subscriber
I have read various discussions of the issues that lead to problems with reception of trunked simulcast system broadcasts on various scanners models.

Do computer managed SDR receivers suffer from these same problems? I am currently hearing the typical problems described here on my SDS# and Unitrunker setups and have experimented with various antenna types and placement.
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Simulcast_digital_distortion

I understand that the upcoming Bearcat SDS-100 is expected to resolve many of these Simulcast problems, but would be disappointed to find that the SDR options already offer software based Simulcast optimization solutions presumably implemented in the SDS-100!

boatbod

I have read various discussions of the issues that lead to problems with reception of trunked simulcast system broadcasts on various scanners models.

Do computer managed SDR receivers suffer from these same problems? I am currently hearing the typical problems described here on my SDS# and Unitrunker setups and have experimented with various antenna types and placement.
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Simulcast_digital_distortion

I understand that the upcoming Bearcat SDS-100 is expected to resolve many of these Simulcast problems, but would be disappointed to find that the SDR options already offer software based Simulcast optimization solutions presumably implemented in the SDS-100!

It really depends on the demodulation scheme employed by the software in use. Properly receiving LSM simulcast requires a CQPSK decoder. Once you have that, you get good clean audio.

The following article is a bit dated now, but explains the basics of C4FM vs CQPSK.
The Digital Diversity of APCO-25

Voyager

Most SDRs should have the capability to decode them correctly. Of course, software is 99% of an SDR setup and PC specs affect the performance of the software, so there are many more potential causes for issues other than just the SDR.

KR0SIV

Depends entirely on what software you use and what it supports. You'll have to actually read the documention for Unitrunker to know if it does (pretty sure it does not).

SDRTrunk is a more open trunking application but only supports P1 at the moment with P2 in planned development. You can use two RTLs or a Hackrf, it may also support the airspy or sdrplay but again you'd have to check the documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.