Just ordered a Ham it UP for my SDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyphex

Hey RR

Just wanted to share that I finally went and ordered a Ham it Up plus with the 9.1 Balun and its coming Thursday :D

When it gets here I'm willing to share access to it if any one wants to check out what can be heard over in Montreal atleast for a bit ;)

have been thinking of getting one for ages and I absolutely cant wait to check this thing out!

any tips tricks or useful advice from you guys would be welcome!

k9wkj

build/buy a broadcast band filter to put ahead of the upconverter
youll thank me pretty quickly
this isnt particular to a HamItUp its a issue with using a receiver without any front end on HF

spongella

Premium Subscriber
cyphex,

You made a good choice, they work very well - am referring to the HamItUp converter though, as I have not used the balun. I use it for listening to the AM broadcast band up to 30 MHz.

As for tips, not sure what software you are using - SDR#, HDSDR, etc?In all cases judicious use of the RF gain on your software will prevent getting signal overload. To power it I use a PocketJuice portable 5V supply, runs forever on that. A good HF antenna helps. The HamItUp works very well on shortwave and medium wave (broadcast band). Not very sensitive on long wave (at this location) using a 43 foot vertical. Sensitive enough though to receive DGPS in the 285 - 325 kHz region. Again, use of the RF gain is important.

You'll have a great time with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.