SDRplay announces the RSPduo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonohudson

Announced at Dayton, Ohio, 18th May 2018::

SDRplay introduces the RSPduo

The RSPduo is a radical new addition to the RSP line of SDR receivers from SDRplay. Architecturally, it is different from any previous RSP in that it features dual independent tuners, both piped through a single high-speed USB 2.0 interface.

The SDRplay RSPduo is a dual-tuner wideband full featured 14-bit SDR which covers the entire RF spectrum from 1kHz to 2GHz giving 10MHz of spectrum visibility. Initially using Windows based ‘SDRuno’ supplied by SDRplay, you can simultaneously monitor two completely separate 2MHz bands of spectrum anywhere between 1kHz and 2GHz.

Superficially the RSPduo looks identical to the highly popular RSP2pro and will be able to operate in a very similar way. However, it also allows a completely new and exciting set of usage scenarios such as:

1. Simultaneous monitoring of two widely spaced bands – e.g. 40m (HF) and 2m (VHF)
2. Mixing and matching applications simultaneously – e.g. ADS-B and ATC scanning
3. Phase and time coherent demodulation of two receivers

Scenario 3 is very difficult to achieve with two separate USB devices because of the uncertainty of USB latency. The RSPduo overcomes this limitation because all traffic goes through a single USB interface, thus enabling the possibility of the development of various types of diversity demodulation such as: spatial, frequency and polarisation which can bring huge benefits in terms of improved performance.

Jon Hudson, Marketing Director at SDRplay commented:
“As well as adding a second independently controlled tuner, which in itself, offers a whole new set of exciting usage possibilities, the SDRduo features 14bit ADCs and a completely re-designed RF front end. These changes provide better RF selectivity and even more dynamic range, offering outstanding performance under extremely challenging reception conditions. The combination of performance and features makes the RSPduo our highest spec RSP yet and sets a new benchmark in the sub $300 SDR market”

Due to its exceptional combination of performance and price, the RSP family of receivers have become very popular and the RSPduo provides the next level of functionality for both amateur radio enthusiasts as well as the scientific, educational and industrial SDR community.

As well as being demonstrated at Hamvention, the RSPduo is available direct from SDRplay or via SDRplay’s network of channel partners and resellers Distributors – SDRplay

The RSPduo is expected to retail at approximately $279 USD (excluding taxes) or £199 GBP (excluding taxes)

For more information visit the SDRplay website on www.sdrplay.com

DSheirer

Premium Subscriber
The SDRplay RSPduo is a dual-tuner wideband full featured 14-bit SDR which covers the entire RF spectrum from 1kHz to 2GHz giving 10MHz of spectrum visibility.

Initially using Windows based ‘SDRuno’ supplied by SDRplay, you can simultaneously monitor two completely separate 2MHz bands of spectrum anywhere between 1kHz and 2GHz.

When running dual independent receiver mode, will the hardware support providing greater than 2 MHz of usable spectrum for each tuner via a future software update, or are you running up against the maximum throughput of the USB 2.0 bus?

Denny

D

DaveNF2G

When running dual independent receiver mode, will the hardware support providing greater than 2 MHz of usable spectrum for each tuner via a future software update, or are you running up against the maximum throughput of the USB 2.0 bus?

Denny

If that is the case, then those of us who have USB 3.0 available would like to try an enhanced version.

D

DaveNF2G

Note that the newer Griffin knobs do not support Windows 10 and, according to an email from customer support, the older models are no longer available.

beischel

Hamvention 2018

Picked mine up at the Dayton Hamvention this year the first day they were announced. Love this thing. Incredible SDR radio and the software is also excellent.

D

DaveNF2G

Yes, went into this knowing that. Will work on it as an experiment and see if I can get around that myself.

If you find a way to make it work, please share. I still have the one I bought.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Note that there is a bug fix due for the RSPduo. Per Andy Play, "There is a known issue with 10 MHz mode on tuner 2 - tuner 1 is ok, this will be fixed in the next release."

I came across the issue using tuner 2 on the FM band. With my JTD1 discone antenna connected to Tuner 2, FM reception is fine until I select 10mHz. At that point, the FM signal cannot be processed. Connecting the discone to Tuner1 and no such issue at 10mHz.

Just a heads up.

--
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.