SDR Sharp freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbounce

SDR Sharp version 1361 freezes when i hit the skip button, It also does same on other versions. I have SDR Sharp running on an older laptop and a newer laptop both running Windows 7. The older laptop does not have any updates added to it at all, as all I use it for is SDRSharp, DSD, Unitrunker. The older laptop works fine, the newer laptop with all of Windows updates is the one that freezes. I have tried it with all security off, still freezes, I have tried running SDR Sharp alone, it still freezes. I have to start the Task Manager in order to shut it down. The good news is that it happens only when I hit skip button.

Anyone else have this problem.

Thanks
MB

moonbounce

Thanks for posting the link to the SDR user guide, I am sure that will be a benefit to anyone who read it. The skip button is in the Frequency Manager and Scanner plugin. I don't see a crash.txt file.

I am 100% positive the problem lies with my computer, not the actual program, as the same program works fine on my other older computer, I am just not sure what could be causing the freeze up.

Thanks
MB

moonbounce

So Monday I downloaded SDRSharp 1512 and have been running it for two day and I have been hitting the skip button continually with no freezes, but it is the only version so far that doesn't freeze. So I guess I will stick with this verson.

MB

thewraith2008

Only thing I can come up with is:

1. Backup "scanner_entryes.xml" file in SDR# folder then delete it an start a new one to test​
or
2. Re-install MS .Net Framework 4.5​

Older versions of SDR# used MS .Net Framework 3.5
Newer versions of SDR# used MS .Net Framework 4.5

There was a scanner plug-in for each one, while I don't think a 3.5 plug-in would work in 4.5 SDR# it maybe worth making sure your using the correct plug-in with all those different versions.

moonbounce

Only thing I can come up with is:

1. Backup "scanner_entryes.xml" file in SDR# folder then delete it an start a new one to test​
or
2. Re-install MS .Net Framework 4.5​

Older versions of SDR# used MS .Net Framework 3.5
Newer versions of SDR# used MS .Net Framework 4.5

There was a scanner plug-in for each one, while I don't think a 3.5 plug-in would work in 4.5 SDR# it maybe worth making sure your using the correct plug-in with all those different versions.

The SDR plugins will not let you install the wrong plugin. The new version for SDR Sharp 1512 is running perfectly so I don't think I want to disturb anything right now lol, I would be too afraid of what might happen.

I wonder if Net 4.5 is interfering with the older versions of SDR Sharp, based on my old computer running older versions only of SDR Sharp perfectly, I am incline to thinking this might be the case.

I am kind of partial to the older version but I will continue to use version 1512 on the newer computer being that it is behaving so well.

Thank you for your input.

MB

JELAIR

I use SDR# on both a win7x64 and a win10x64 machine.

On the win7 it almost always crashes when I press STOP after it has been running for several hours.

On the win10 it sometimes crashes when I press STOP.

I have read somewhere that SDR# uses a 'bad' programming-ethics (In that it apparently does some direct-access to memory that a program shouldn't really be doing). I don't know if there is anything to that, but I have seen it mentioned when googling for solutions.

SDR# is by far the best SDR software though (IMO), so I live with having to CTRL-ALT-DELETE force-exit it (But of course it's annoying that the problem persists)

thewraith2008

I think most of the issues SDR# have, are related to plug-ins that have not been updated to be in-line with changes that have occurred in SDR# over time. Which is a real shame because there are some good plug-ins for SDR#.

moonbounce

Little update, I have since uninstalled Net 4.5, and all copies of SDRSharp the would use it ( as I don't plan on putting Net 4.5 back on my computer anytime soon ).

Now when I run SDRSharp version 1361, it does not freeze when I hit the skip button. So I have to assume that that was the problem, thanks thewraith2008 for your suggestion. Now I am enjoying my hobby once again.

MB

P.S. Also bought new antenna for $ 25 but I will post in the appropriate thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.