Recording audio question

Status
Not open for further replies.

scan_madison

I am sure we all sometimes "need" to record audio that our SDRs can receive. I have recently tested with audacity in "Sound Activated Recording" mode. This works great. Now I can listen "agency" without any gaps.

The only problem is it doesn't capture time. It would be nice if software somehow announces the time, let's say, every 10 minutes in the recording.

Any inputs? TIA.

JELAIR

I am sure we all sometimes "need" to record audio that our SDRs can receive. I have recently tested with audacity in "Sound Activated Recording" mode. This works great. Now I can listen "agency" without any gaps.

The only problem is it doesn't capture time. It would be nice if software somehow announces the time, let's say, every 10 minutes in the recording.

Any inputs? TIA.

I use SDR#

It has a built-in recorder.

If you set it up correctly, you can get it to put each single transmission into its own file.

You can end up with a lot of files this way, but each file will be time-stamped by Windows.

So that's one option at least.

It would be nice if there was a video-recorder option that worked like the audio-recorder, because then you could get the time-stamps (Those that get printed on the spectrum-display) recorded visually.

scan_madison

I use SDR#

It has a built-in recorder.

If you set it up correctly, you can get it to put each single transmission into its own file.

You can end up with a lot of files this way, but each file will be time-stamped by Windows.

So that's one option at least.

It would be nice if there was a video-recorder option that worked like the audio-recorder, because then you could get the time-stamps (Those that get printed on the spectrum-display) recorded visually.

Thanks. Yes, I did see the recording option in SDR# but never knew it was possible to do the auto recording as you mentioned. It is better than nothing for sure! The recording I want to make is not a busy channel so this should work. I have thought of using an IP camera too but I haven't found a way to make the camera only record when there is a audio.

scan_madison

I pipe SDR #s audio to a a virtual audio cable, use audacity to record. It's an excellent program

Yes, I do that too by enabling VOR mode in Audacity. However, it doesn't record the time and date! That was my original question.

ramblin82

Last edited:

scan_madison

What exactly are you looking to record? If you monitor a trunked system, and use Unitrunker, try Trunking Recorder.

They might be having an issue at the moment, but this is the address
Trunking Recorder - Recording audio from trunked radio systems monitored by Unitrunker

Just regular UHF NFM transmissions.
Actually, I found another better solution. I found one of those IC recorders that stamps time/date on the recordings. This is even better than using a computer with Audacity software and all it needs is a couple of AAA batteries. Batteries last 24 hours + and I hook audio output from the computer to the recorder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.