CommRadio CTX-10 QRP Transceiver Nice Review!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Interesting - 160 is receive only. Wonder why? And while it says it covers the 60 meter band, does it just cover them as channels in memory or tuned? They are allocated as fixed channels, after all

Still, interesting for the QRP crowd...Mike

prcguy

I'm still on the shelf for one of these and I happened across one by accident at a park in my town. The owner seemed to be receiving fine but could not contact anyone on transmit. I set up a time a frequency with the owner and ran home to hear the radio on the air, only to find part of a distorted word coming out of the CTX-10 on each transmission.

I went back to the park with a portable radio as the owner tried several different antenna setups, including my version of a PAR quad band end fed. All transmissions were distorted and cut off right after the first word. The radio was obviously having problems or was broken as my KX2 transmitted perfectly from the same antennas. I lost track of the owner and never found out what happened to his new CTX-10.

Why are there only a couple of reviews on this radio after its been out for several months? How many have been sold of the supposedly 250 made as quoted by the owner of the company?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That kinda flies in the face of the rules, which has these as fixed frequencies. Maybe a firmware fix can get that cleaned up...thanks...Mike

WB2KTG

Mike-

Regarding 60m Fixed Frequency Requirements:

Referencing: 60 Meter FAQ

"For FCC equipment Certification (Formerly called Type Acceptance), does the radio have to be restricted to only transmit on these allocated channels (like Marine HF radios)? -"

"Part 97 transceivers do not require Certification. The method of incorporating the new center frequency channels (5332 kHz, 5348 kHz, 5358.5 kHz, 5373 kHz, and 5405 kHz), as specified in Section 97.303(s), into the device is at the manufacturer's discretion. The device must have capabilities so that the licensed amateur can operate the device in compliance with the Part 97 Rules. For 60 M operation, the tuning may be variable as long as the licensed amateur can tune to the specific frequencies listed in the rule. The device is not restricted for operation only in this band. The transceiver can have a PEP power output at the antenna terminal greater than the specified ERP as long as the operator can control the power so that the station does not transmit with more than 100 Watts ERP PEP."

Status
Not open for further replies.