Poinsett Bombing Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCHarris

Anyone here ever listen to military ops at the Poinsett Bombing Range? Years ago there used to be a grandstand area where you could sit and watch different types of aircraft come and deliver their goods, though you never knew what, if any, you would see. I have heard, though don't know it to be true, that you can still do this. Can anyone confirm if this is still true?

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
DC, you might can call the public relations office at Shaw AFB in Sumter, SC to get that information. It is my understanding that they are the local operators of the bombing ranges in SC.

Link:
http://www.shaw.af.mil/

Good luck!

Barry

afjasi

Poinsett Bombing and Gunnery Range

Anyone here ever listen to military ops at the Poinsett Bombing Range? Years ago there used to be a grandstand area where you could sit and watch different types of aircraft come and deliver their goods, though you never knew what, if any, you would see. I have heard, though don't know it to be true, that you can still do this. Can anyone confirm if this is still true?

Yes, Poinsett Range is still open to the public. The Grandstand is still there. As far as Frequencies, 264.7 is still the primary.

You should call first to see if we have any scheduled flights. With the world situation, many squadrons are deployed.

JB
Range Control Officer, Poinsett ECR

DCHarris

Thanks for the info. I remember back in the late 70's driving by there on HWY 261 when I heard the most awful screaming I had ever heard in my life. I was just picking myself up off the floorboard (while still driving!!) when I looked up and saw an A-10 coming up over the treeline ahead of me. He had come in behind me to deliver his goods, which is why I had not seen him approaching the range. Years later I read an article in The State newspaper about the grandstand there, which prompted my question. I assume I could bring my scanner there? Again, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.