New Pro 96...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
i love Butel, but get the starrsoft to program the radio, if you get the software i have a Pro-96 file for Columbia area if you could use one...

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> ARC96 should do the trick BRO!!!

I wouldn't recommend it. Win96 IS the "standard." Don Starr has been working with RS and GRE, and writing scanning software since the Pro 92, and continued supporting the Pro 92 / Win92 software well after Radio Shack discontinued selling the Pro 92.

Most of the scan files available online for the Pro 96 are in Win96. Don also has a free conversion program available for converting Pro 92 and 93 files to Pro 96 format.

ARC96 is a relatively new product by Gommert Buysen (Butel), who has specialized in software for Uniden products since the introduction of the Uniden BC780XLT scanner. I guess he started offering GRE / RS software about 2 years ago.

Look at both the Starrsoft and Butel websites. Note that Don concentrates on a few specific software programs, while Gommert offers a wide range of Uniden, GRE / RS and AOR programs.

In my "less-than-humble" opinion, I think Gommert's attempt to support all the major scanners in the U.S. market, and the time he has to spend marketing his products, dealer-arrangements and trips to the U.S., does affect the quality of the products - and support - he offers.

If you read the Yahoo forums related to his products ... some of which Gommert is the moderator ... you'll find software users complaining of software issues that haven't been corrected more than a year after being identified.

I don't see software-issue complaints being raised on the Win96 forums, although I acknowledge that Don Starr can be slow in responding to users who have misplaced / lost their software registration information, and are seeking that info from Don.

With all the above stated, the good news is that your software investment is only a small expense, compared to the cost of the scanner. If you don't like ARC96, or find that you want the freedom to view and construct files in both software formats, you're only out the equivalent of a tank of gas in a compact car.

Either way, enjoy the Pro 96. It's a good scanner.

SCPD

QRT
Sounds as if you do not care for Gommert???. read up here in the scanning s/w forums here also

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> Sounds as if you do not care for Gommert???.

Just the opposite ! I have - and use - several of the ARC programs ( I have about 25 scanners at home ... most are atleast software programmable ), which is why I subscribe to the ARC lists on Yahoo.

I respect Gommert and what he has accomplished, as well as the amount of time and energy he has expended over the years to make his company successful.

It's simply that some small companies lose their edge, for a variety of reasons, when they grow beyond a certain point. Gateway Computers is another company that comes to mind.

>> read up here in the scanning s/w forums here also

On a typical day, I already review about 30 hobby-related forums and lists, as well as online materials related to my work and other interests. That's on top of typically working 15-hour days, and hoping for 5 hours of sleep before the next day begins at 2 a.m. or whenever.

While the overtime is great, I'd be stupid (and a hypocrite, since I believe Gommert has over-extended himself) to take on any more late-night / early-morning reading online.

And that doesn't change the fact that the majority of scanning files for the Pro 96 are constructed with Win96.

Status
Not open for further replies.