New Pro-106 any advice on System Layouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4gps

I just picked up a Pro-106 yesterday and it sure is nice to be scanning again after York County going Digital. Did not notice how much I missed it till' I started listening again.

I am only interested at this time on 3 Systems plus maybe a bank of conventional. Don't know if programming the Viper system on a hand held scanner in Western York County would be useful at all.

1) Char-Meck
2) York County
3) Palmetto

I still don't quite understand what this Object Oriented Scanning is all about. I guess my bran is stuck on Banks and ID Lists.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. RS stated they no longer had the cable so I can't program, apparently it's the store that no longer had the cable. I also am thinking that my ICOM cable will do just fine and there is no need for a special Radio Shack cable and will try that later on when I can find mine and can download some trial/test software.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I also recently acquired a PRO-106 and have been experimenting with various onfigurations.

You'll want to set up one TST for Char-Meck and another TSYS for York Co. Add all talkgroups of interest to each of those TSYS objects. Then divide those talkgroups into as many different scanlists as you like.

For Palmetto 800, I created 4 different TSYS objects so far. In my case, a TSYS for Palmetto 800 is just a particular set of tower sites. I created 1 TSYS for Spartanburg with 4 or 5 towers, 1 for Cherokee/Union/SCHP Troop 4, 1 for Greenville, 1 for Laurens, etc. I put appropriate talkgroups in each TSYS and separated them among different scanlists.

For SCHP, I scan a combination of talkgroups from each of those TSYS objects in a single scan list.

I have 1 more Palmetto 800 TSYS that includes all the towers within range of me (about 8 or them) and have added all active talkgroups to it. That's a "common" scan list that can also be used to hear new or infrequently used talkgroups. But it takes a while to scan through that TSYS.

This is defintely a complex radio. I highly recommend a programming software option and cable. I use Win500 from Starrsoft and I'm happy with it. I can't imagine trying to program this thing by hand.

Good luck.

k4gps

I am trying out my TTL to Serial cable now I really think it's the same thing. I am testing with IDTRACKER II but need to find out how to get to the CCDUMP and DSPCOMS setting to turn them off for it to work. I can't find those settings in the manual at all and the author only says how to get to it from programming software.

If I can get this cable working I'll join back up for the database and try out some of the software out there.

LarrySC

Most people that buy a 106 already had the 96. That PGM can be put into the 106 using software. I have developed 7 seperate programs with 21 banks each. 5 of the 7 are complete. All programs centered at Greenville and cover west to Oconee Co, east to Cherokee/Union and south to Newberry. Some include Myrtle Beach and one will have all of the Coast. Most PGM's have Railroad/Ham/Air/MilAir/Surveillance/Palmetto 800 and Western NC. Once you catch on it's not as hard as it seems. I'm keeping my 96 for a test unit to use in the shop or in the field. There are 7 seperate Motorola systems here in the upstate and some LTR. It takes 10 banks just for local trunking. GEE I dont know when I've had more FUN. Larry

k4gps

Well it's been the whole day and I have come to several conclusions.

a) The Icom CI-V cable will not work propery with the Pro-106, it's half duplex, not full duplex. I can start the download process to the scanner but can not establish full comms so it fails.

b) It's impossible for me to figure out exactly how to add new ID's to the existing V-Scanner pre-programmed groups. The York County data has very little in there, County PD/Fire, Rock Hill Fire, and EMS, Clover PD. I can't visualize how this new way of thinking works and it's not easy to find where the current ID lists are and add on to them ie: Rock Hill PD, Fort Mill PD etc.

I have downloaded the trial of PSREDIT500, I am going to see if I can find a USB cable locally instead of having to order one of the generic USB cables off the internet that I THINK may work and I'll be re-subscribing to RR so I can load up the entire County, Palmetto System, all of Char-Meck, and possibly the Viper system.

Off to search the R/S Web site and see who has these cables in stock so I can pick one up in the morning.

mikey60

I have downloaded the trial of PSREDIT500, I am going to see if I can find a USB cable locally instead of having to order one of the generic USB cables off the internet that I THINK may work and I'll be re-subscribing to RR so I can load up the entire County, Palmetto System, all of Char-Meck, and possibly the Viper system.

Get either the Radio Shack USB cable (but don't use the 3" extension cable) or the GRE cable. Those are the only cables known to work with these radios.

Depending on how full the memory image is, you should be able to add objects without too much issue. You might need to delete some data that's not related to your area to make room.

Mike

k4gps

I got mine this AM and it's working fine. Still think one of the ICOM cables will work but possibly only the USB ones, it's a full duplex issue and I think the serial ones don't do that.

Before I left the R/S parking lot I used my EVDO card and re-subscribed to RR and downloaded PSREDIT500. By the time I left the parking lot I was loaded up and scanning. Now I'll try some of the other programs but I like PSR and it's CTRL Display screen, since I leave my laptop running it gives me a nice big display to glance over at while driving to see who is talking. I work out of my truck and have a jotto desk with the laptop mounted on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.