Upstate Snowstorm 09

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndersonMBK

There's some really interesting scanning going on this evening with all the snow we've been getting. We haven't got this much snow in years. On top of that, it's a really wet heavy snow, traffic is a mess.

To say HP is busy is an understatement. PublicCAD

WSPA's (channel 7's) tower on Hogback mountain fell too.. so news 7 is off the air for some.

rescuecomm

It is bad in Pickens County too. The squads and the fire depts are running all sorts of calls. The FD's are out on a lot of trees down on live wires (arcing).

The usual problems and more on comms. Easley FD dispatch disrupting county Ch3 dispatch and now something from the cell transmitters getting into Easley Rescue Ch4.

Ain't it wunderful!!

Bob

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
There's some really interesting scanning going on this evening with all the snow we've been getting. We haven't got this much snow in years. On top of that, it's a really wet heavy snow, traffic is a mess.

To say HP is busy is an understatement. PublicCAD

WSPA's (channel 7's) tower on Hogback mountain fell too.. so news 7 is off the air for some.

It was a mess, i have before and after pictures taken of BOTH of the hogback towers that went down, will try to post later...gotta shrink them down...

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Pictures of Hogback

I have about 20 more pics but here are a few, the one with a finger pointing at part of the tower is a 4 inch solid steel leg pulled apart. .....

Attachments

• image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 360
  • image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 345
  • image017.jpg
    image017.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 363
  • image019.jpg
    image019.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 354
  • image028.jpg
    image028.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 350

SCPD

QRT
Caesar, do you work for WSPA or did you take those pictures? If so, I'd really like to see some larger pics of the Jeep and truck trying to make it's way through the snow on the road!

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Backup tower at 259’ with backup Batwing antenna for channel 7
And the main tower at 459’. Channel 7 antenna on top and digital 53 side-mounted. Each weighs 7 tons.

left about 8:20pm and the first mile went great…all downhill.
Then we had to start up Rocky Spur. We put chains on the front, and chains on the back, but the 8” snow proved to be quite the challenge.
Took about two hours to get out of this one.
This was right after hooking two winches together, along with a tree, to get one vehicle out of the ditch. Another two hours and snow getting deeper.
It took 5 hours to get home. Normally an hour trip.

Attachments

• image034.jpg
    image034.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 362
  • image036.jpg
    image036.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 356
  • image037.jpg
    image037.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 295

SCPD

QRT
Just curious how effective a broom is at getting one out of a snow ditch? Joking aside, those pictures are incredible. Next time we get a snow event like that let me know and I'll join you for the trip, it reminds me of the days when I lived in the northeast.

qball

Premium Subscriber
Hogback Mountain

Center: 35.1660°N 82.5043°W
Elevation at center: 3,133 feet (955 meters)

Put the coordinates in Google Maps. Its sort of northwest of the Greenville area best I can tell.

qball

Premium Subscriber
Just curious how effective a broom is at getting one out of a snow ditch? Joking aside, those pictures are incredible. Next time we get a snow event like that let me know and I'll join you for the trip, it reminds me of the days when I lived in the northeast.

You noticed the broom, and I noticed the sling blade next to the broom. Altogether wrong season for the sling blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.