Info...453.550

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcole

I'm in the Moncks Corner area and hear sheriff activity on 453.550, but only dispatch.
There's never any response or mobile activity.
Is this a link or control freq? Or what's up?
Thanks...Pete...

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Well, it's listed in the DB as a Sheriff Tactical channel, but no tone information is listed. Can you determine a tone?

Here's the FCC license for it: FCC Callsign WPBX620 Details

It's licensed as a repeater (not as a link). Could be a patch to another conventional channel (maybe for interop/mutual aid with another local agency that uses UHF?), or a patch to a talkgroup on Palmetto 800?

Can you confirm it's related to BCSO as opposed to some other agency? Do you hear the same dispatch traffic on any other channels or talkgroups?

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
453.550 is the old Aiken county Sheriffs Dept. frequency before they transitioned to Pal 800. They still use it occasionally as a data link for their in car computers (at least that is what the signal sounds like).
You might be picking it up down there in the Monck's Corner area.

WGONE968

Premium Subscriber
At one time the Berkeley County Sheriff Dept. used this as their Special Ops Channel. Have not heard them use this a whole lot since they went to the Palmetto 800 System several years back.
What I hear on this Freq (453.5500) in the Goose Creek area is the Pender County Sheriff's Dept in N.C. And as you stated only the Dispatcher. I was lucky enough to hear the dispatcher say "Pender County" on a radio check once.
Hope this helps,
Wally

pcole

Thanks for the answers guys......I'll keep an ear on it and check on the pl tone.
It's quite strong in the area, must have a good site.
N3RNX

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Pender Co, N.C. Sheriffs transitioned to Viper a year or two ago.

The dispatch you're hearing is likely their old UHF dispatch channel, with the dispatcher likely simulcasting on both UHF and 800 trunking (Viper).

Both Pender County and the Berkeley County tac channel used a tone of 186.2 Hz on 453.550 MHz.

The Mrs. and I used to spend a couple of days in Charleston occasionally, and the Pender County signal was pretty easy to hear in the evenings through the early morning hours, due to the coastal ducting. It didn't hurt that there was a five-story parking deck adjoining the hotel we would stay in, and I would monitor with the car equipment on the top floor of the deck.

For reference to Barry008's post, Aiken County Sheriffs used 118.8 Hz on 453.550, when it was a voice channel. If they are running data now, they may have dropped the tone. I don't get much time to keep up on channel usage changes anymore, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.