Ducting Sunday morning on uhf

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1879

About 1 am Sunday morning I was hearing Colleton County SD (my guess as they mentioned Highway 1 and McBride St, and later Walterboro) on 460.350, used in Clemson /Central ( My location)as channel 2. I was using a handheld Wouxon radio and just the stock rubber duck antenna. That seemed pretty sweet considering the antenna. Of course I do remember the old days when Orange County fire from California would boom in on my handheld, but that was on low-band vhf. I assume this had more to do with the stormy weather/ ducting phenomenon rather than solar flux, but there was a major solar event recently.
Good listening all!

Phil

LarrySC

Great. I used to get lots of 460 out of Atlanta here in Greenville. Most of that now is 800. This week I got some VHF out of the Augusta area while I had a unit just doing a VHF search. What I really miss is 39.14 LA Co Sheriff in the winter long skip. I worked in Fla several years ago and ducting was a big issue on VHF with East Coast Fla and West Coast Fla ducting each other about 9am to 10am. As we hit the first day of summer, there should be lots more of this. Best Regards, Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.