SC Department of Natural Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikaze1

Premium Subscriber
HELLO ALL

first off id like to say i am a fishermen i spend alot of time on the water so yesterday i decided to go fishing knowing it was july 4th weekend i seen dnr show up stopping boats so i put it on signal stalker and i didnt get nothing not even on the regular channels on the database page are they digital trunking now?? or are they on cb freq on there boats??? b/c i heard there radios on there boats but couldnt pick up there freq and on limit search on the pro164 i set up a search range from 150.000 to 158.975 and still didnt get anything i did mange to hear a few ems and fire stations could any one here who monitors SCDNR give me some insight what i could do maybe a tune search from 28.000 to 1300.000 this would take time and could miss stations leeme know

thnx

LarrySC

Using Signal Stalker you select Groups 2 or 5 for VHF or UHF. They rarely use their VHF. Seems most comms on Cell Phone. The reason they do that is they know you are using Signal Stalker.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
... b/c i heard there radios on there boats but couldnt pick up there freq and on limit search on the pro164 i set up a search range from 150.000 to 158.975 and still didnt get anything ...

All of the VHF inputs for DNR are above 158.975. You need to extend the search range through 159.465 (the Greenwood input is 159.165 MHz.).

Although, as Larry alluded to, if they are not using VHF, searching won't help much. It might be simpler to program the local repeater and tac channels in, so you can easily check them next time.

vinzep491

I was reading in another area of the site that they switched to simplex p25 digital.

kamikaze1

Premium Subscriber
I was reading in another area of the site that they switched to simplex p25 digital.

ok then that would explain the sound i get on

151.16000 WNMN551 R 606 DPL DNR 5 LT MNT Little Mountain (Newberry)

sounds like a hair trimmer but a lil diffrent

kamikaze1

Premium Subscriber
hummm i have that program'd but seems greenwood has been active on 151.16000 but everynow and then it sounds trunked almost like SCHP on palmetto8 system when ctrl channel is not set propper or should i say the talk group but has a more midrange sound to it then pal8 like its trunked mayb ei should set the bank for trunking will it limit traffic i have pro-163 and pro-164

CCSPRINGS

Premium Subscriber
Scdnr

The SCDNR are still using there VHF frequenceys.
Aynor tower 151.430 dpl 503
Georgetown tower 151.445 dpl 632
I was in Garden City all weekend of the 4th and these channels were hummin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! try these out for this local area.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Probably what you're hearing is them using P25 digital on their existing VHF repeaters. Several have confirmed occasional use of P25 digital on other DNR repeaters, so it stands to reason that all of them are capable of it.

Most folks will confirm that the majority of traffic on these repeaters is still analog with the DCS tones, as listed in the database.

If you program the proper DPL squelch tone, you won't hear that digital noise from time to time. If you leave the channel in FM or tone search mode, you will. The PRO-163 and 164 aren't capable of decoding the digital signals.

For those that have a digital-capable scanner, you'd want to program each repeater channel twice - once with the proper DCS tone, and a second time in tone search mode. Please submit any confirmed NAC codes you hear and we'll add those to the database.

While SCDNR has talkgroups allocated for them to use on the Palmetto 800 system, they don't use them often if at all. They do make use of simpex (non-repeater) VHF frequencies in analog and P25 digital modes (note that a confirmed simplex VHF freq with confirmed NAC was added to the database just this week). But, as has been noted previously, quite a bit of their communication is probably handled via mobile phones or Nextel or similar services that cannot be monitored.

CCSPRINGS

Premium Subscriber
Scdnr

I also know for the last few months the Aynor tower (151.430 dpl 503) has been in real trouble!!! The signal is terrible at best!!! I have trouble inside my house with my xts 2500 or xtx 5000 pukking there signal out. It use to be that with just a scanner it was clear as a bell at my home. The radio tech has been down numerous times to work on it but it has never gotten even close to what it was. This all began after testing on the Aynor tower with p25. i can still pick up georgetown (151.445 dpl 632) in my house clear as a bell. So with that all said i have no idea what is goin on with SCDNR but there seems to be possible changes comin down the road.

kamikaze1

Premium Subscriber
new freq

well i was out on lake 3 days ago had a signal stalker on and found 160.065 was dnr or scfc they where talking about the lower lake on greenwood

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This was pulled from the wiki from K4RKC and Missradio;
==========================
I'm hearing digital transmissions on all the DNR channels. I was unaware that South Carolina Department of Natural Resources had converted to a digital system. I live in the Midlands region of South Carolina and can monitor most of the sites from my location. I can see a logical reason to conversion to digital to protect their transmissions in regard to marine operations and investigations and surveillance of
hunters in the fall.

K4RKC

SCDNR is using P-25 on their talk2 channel with a NAC of 105 around Horry County. They still use these freqs in conventional mode also.
================
best regards...Mike

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone actually heard voice transmissions (decode the digital) on the 151.xxx frequencies?

I have them programmed into my 996 both as analog and digital and my 2052 as analog. When the analog receives the "motorboat" sound my digital (on the same frequency) has static-no voice. Are we sure the DNR is using P25? The only time I hear voice transmissions on any DNR frequency is when it is broadcast in analog.

On the other hand, maybe I'm programming them in wrong.

Suggestions?

bigfoot317

Has anyone thought the LE side is digital with full time encrption? They have the equipment installed, and all will be using it in L E. Biologist will be on analog, along with othe L E agencies that are allowed on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.