Pal 800 Scanner Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksnipes

I am a flight medic with LifeNet and want to listen when I'm off but don't know what type of scanner I need to buy. I know we operate on the Pal 800 system. Can someone help me out.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I am a flight medic with LifeNet and want to listen when I'm off but don't know what type of scanner I need to buy. I know we operate on the Pal 800 system. Can someone help me out.

Welcome to RR.com! :)
Good to have you join us. I split your post off into its own thread as you will probably
get better answers to your questions that way.
Looking at the Palmetto 800 system in the database it does appear that currently LifeNet uses analog talkgroups on the system. Which means that an analog trunking scanner such as the Uniden BC346XT or the GRE PSR-310 will work for you if you are on a budget. Do keep in mind though that if your agency decides to switch to a digital voice format then the 2 above scanners will no longer be able to monitor the comms.
You will need to consider a digital capable scanner like the ones in THIS LIST.
Our Wiki here at RR.com has a wealth of information and our regular forum members are always happy to help out folks new to the hobby.
Thanks for being a part of RR.com and Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

hntsgt

I don't monitor Kershaw but the two talkgroups listed on Palmetto 800 for the FD & PD are both listed as digital. It appears most of the other frequencies are VHF. If I were you, I would go for a digital capable radio as there have been many changes with the P800 system & most new talkgroups are digital.

evan

Database Admin
Looks like you have private messages disabled. Drop me a message and I'll be happy to help you out with programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.