How well does the Radio Shack Pro-106 work in the Charleston area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaDelta10

I remember years ago getting an old Radio Shack digital scanner ( not a Pro-106 ) that didn't work well. The signal was EXTREMELY choppy to the point where listening was unbearable. I ended up with a Uniden BCD396T, which ( knock on wood ) still works to this day and is a lot more clear in audio. A few years have passed since and I was just wondering if the signal strength of Radio Shack digital scanners have gotten any better since 2007? I live in West Ashley if that matters. I've got my eye on a Pro-106. My question is does the Pro-106 Radio Shack digital scanner work well in the Charleston area?

Last edited:

Viking1

If you're listening to the 800mhz p25 system the audio is choppy b/c it's a simulcast system. You have several towers rebroadcasting the same signal with a few milliseconds delay between each site so your scanner picks up the same signal for each site but the timing is off so it screws up the p25 decoding inside the scanner. This can be fixed by using multi-element beam antenna and pointing it at one site. This also has a lot to do with your location, it's best that you have one site with no others behind it so you can null out the signals from the other sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.