update database for....pal800

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikaze1

Premium Subscriber
is there a way admins can update the database for palmetto800 analog only and digital only.... for ex: say i wanna add nothing but digital instead of scrolling thru all the tgids and copying one here one there..... why not have the digital ones in there on section and analog in there own section....... and on the upload from database function in ARC 500 or other versions have it where we can choose digital or analog....... i think this would be much easier then having to search find the ones set them up manually...... witch takes a lot of time when it could be marked digital / analog and be a breeze....

thnx hope you can fix this admins i hope im not the only one who thinks this.......... :) :p :eek:

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Consider performing a download of talkgroups or frequencies from the database, and then highlighting and deleting - with your control key - the multiple entries you want to eliminate.

At some time in the future, the question of whether a Pal 800 talkgroup is analog or digital will be moot, anyway, as they all will be P25.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
is there a way admins can update the database for palmetto800 analog only and digital only.... for ex: say i wanna add nothing but digital instead of scrolling thru all the tgids and copying one here one there..... why not have the digital ones in there on section and analog in there own section....... and on the upload from database function in ARC 500 or other versions have it where we can choose digital or analog....... i think this would be much easier then having to search find the ones set them up manually...... witch takes a lot of time when it could be marked digital / analog and be a breeze....

thnx hope you can fix this admins i hope im not the only one who thinks this.......... :) :p :eek:

The database does not provide a mechanism for multiple grouping options for talkgroups in a system. So, while technically we could group all analog talkgroups into one group, and all digital talkgroups in a second group, and all encrypted talkgroups into a third group, we would have to abandon grouping talkgroups by agency. I suspect most users, especially those using scanners whose programming is dictated by the arrangement of the database, would object.

I suppose we could create 2-3 talkgroup groups per agency and separate analog and digital groups that way, but I believe that would create more confusion for those browsing the database page. In my opinion we have too many groups as it is, and we really need to break some existing groups further.

With talkgroups, there is no difference in how you program a digital talkgroup versus an analog talkgroup into a digital-capable scanner. You can program them "together" into the same system and scan list and the scanner determines which are digital and which are analog. There's no need to differentiate digital from analog talkgroups with ARC 500 that I'm aware of.

However, I could see a benifit for those programming analog scanners and wanting to omit the digital talkgroups from programming. I would recommend that the software manufacturers provide a way within their software to omit digital talkgroups from being programmed. Perhaps they already do that. In which case, separate groupings of digital and analog talkgroups is unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.