Unknown Talk groups found on Richland Simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye10

Premium Subscriber
In order for you to understand my question I first need to explain what I am doing over here.

The role of my Uniden 780 is to monitor the “disaster” talkggroups. They are analog so this works well with the 780 and I have one scanner dedicated to things like train derailments and really anything big.
While monitoring all of the the SC Mutual Aid talkgroups in the Richland Simulcast system I heard a radio check and it occurred to me that I am not hearing all of the sites respond to the periodic radio check. I figure I am missing some talkgroups because the information here on RR is only as complete as we make it.

I setup the 780 to sit on the control channel 860.3375 and via the discriminator tap I run it into Unitrunker. Take the log from Unitrunker and import it into Microsoft Access. Run some queries against the log (which is now a table in access) and sure enough I had missed several SC Mutual Aid talkgroups that are in fact in the file here at RR but I must have missed them.

Also, I found many talkgroups that are not in the database file here at RR, for any system in Pal 800..
So I add these newly found talk groups to my Uniden 996 and monitor them for traffic. My 996 is controlled by ARC-XT Pro and every transmission is recorded. I have been monitoring these newly found talkgroups for over a week and found zero traffic. And this is running 24 hours a day 7 days a week so if anybody keys the mike I will get a wav file of the traffic…. I got nothing

Now I am thinking that maybe these are valid talk groups that are missing from the database at RR but they also are not on the Richland Simulcast system and that’s why I hear zero traffic. Maybe the dispatched joins one of the SC Mutual Aid talkgroups on Richland Simulcast and brings all of the other talk groups with him and then after the radio check they leave and take all of what I call a newly found talk group with them. I am only going to “see” the traffic on the control channel my 780 is parked on..

Now my first question. Can someone help with confirming these talkgroups that I have found to determine what system they belong to ? I did not find any of these in the Palmetto 800 CSV file so they might be truly new talkgroups.

Second question. Am I looking at this correctly with my opinion on a dispatcher joining a talkgroup on Richland Simulcast and all of the dispatchers other talkgroups are now ON Richland Simulcast from a Unitrunker point of view.

Here are the talkgroups I found but hear no traffic.
…………………………….
Thanks

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
some of those like the 65XXX maybe digital encrypted and i believe the 996 has the encrpytion silence feature where it shows ENC on the screen but no audio pops up, that could be a couple of your talkgroups, but not all of them..

the next thing, which i also noticed monitoring disc tap with Trunk88 is that it logged every ID that popped just like UniTrunker which includes the afflition talkgroups, which for example could be a horry county officer at the criminal justice academy and he turns on his radio to listen to his home county, can't b/c they aren't paying for roaming and he gets out of area, but your software will still log every channel he tries, so this can cause you to get out of area talkgroups, but they could also be captured for another of other reasons as you are getting the control data which is much more than we get just listening to the voice channels..

last thing, there are channels which are also on the database that if you check your hit count, NEVER EVER get keyed up, or almost never like the motorola talkgroups, they are used but once a month it seems most of the time, so there are a lot that just aren't used but you might be getting through affliations... but you are already listening for audio and that is the only way we could really get anything else unless you happen to catch the Radio ID and match it up...

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Not sure how I missed this post from several weeks ago, props to Caesar for bringing it back up to the top.

And props to hawkeye and anyone else running a control channel decoding application looking for new talkgroups. I wish we had more dedicated hobbiests like you in SC...

In my trunk88 logs, I see all sorts of unidentified talkgroups show up. Almost all of them have no "hits," meaning no active voice traffic. They only appear from affiliations. That tells me they're "real" talkgroups but are seldom if ever used. And as much as I'd like to know what their intended use is, who really cares if they are never used? You might be seeing the same thing in your Unitrunker logs.

I'm not a Unitrunker user, so it may have this ability as well, but Trunk88 shows all affiliations per radio, so you can see which talkgroups have been affiliated to by each individual radio. If you suspect an unidentified TG is associated with a particular agency, seeing it affiliated to by a number of agency radios can confirm that.

Also, I make sure to run trunk88 in such a way that I don't mix records from different sites into the same log file. Doing this allows me to be sure that I know which talkgroups are in use on particular sites, which makes my scanner configurations more accurate and efficient. You can probably monitor more than one site from your location - Richland, as well as Lexington and Harbison, maybe more? I usually leave trunk88 running on one site for a week, and then monitor another site the next week. I do that a couple times a year just to see what's new.

I can't help you with any of the unidentified talkgroups you posted, but keep monitoring and wait for them to become active. Unattended recording is a great way to do that. Let us know what you hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.