LE Common 5 OP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinzep491

The past two nights I have been monitoring some type of active op on p800 tg 7600, le common 5. I am hearing multiple highway patrol troops and units from a vast array of regions running traffic stops and alot of car searches. Units from different regions providing search assistance when closer units are not available. It seems like a typical traffic detail but it is bringing multiple areas and units together on this tg. Unsure if agencies ither than hp are involved, but i have heard atleast ten counties hp units involved, from ALL across the pee dee, all at the same time.
High volume of stops are along i95 and i20, but alot of other places as well.
Is some type of aggresive enforcement in effect that has not been reported in th media yet? Is this something more than a traffic op?

Anyone else tuning in?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Spartanburg Co SD hosts that each year as well. As Larry points out it's called Rolling Thunder up here, might be similarly named down there. They get agencies (county, city and state) from all over the state and even from GA to participate and they share in the proceeds from the property they confiscate. I'm not sure which agency is hosting this event you're hearing.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Sharing the profits? Sounds like the agreement between the Town of Santee on I-95 and the CIty of Charleston. At least 2 Chasn officers spend their shift up there and do a lot of business. Most of the drivers pass them off as a couple of city kitty black and whites, till they see the bue, blue, blue.
They have also done some very profitable drug busts too.

Ron

Last edited:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Yeah, there was a bit of a legal question in the last couple of years if these outside-county officers were making legal stops, and if the officers from GA were sworn in SC. It was determined that it was all legit, and they can sometimes make a good dent into the interstate drug running. And there are usually 1 or 2 chases each day of the event. It certainly makes for some interesting scanner listening for a week.

hntsgt

I have been listening on & off the past few days. Lots & lots of car stops. I think there have been a few chases in Florence. I have also heard units from Kershaw SO involved as, well.

vinzep491

Tonight multiple agencies involved, from different hp troops, kershaw sd units, darlington sd units, and i heard a single lee co unit.

Weird thing is this, why are kershaw units initiating stops deep into neighboring counties and vice versa. You would think each agency participating would atleast stay in their typical jurisdictions. It seems like everyone is roaming everywhere...

vinzep491

Ah, that article explains alot. I still find the merging of jurisdictional boundaries interesting, but i am glad they could work together to make an impact on the crime along sc highways. Job well done!

hntsgt

With Bike Week in full swing now I have expected to hear LE Common 5 used this week, except I have been getting all the Bike Week SCHP traffic on 45680. Any idea what talk group this is?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I don't know this for sure, but I would guess that 45680 is probably the "new" talkgroup for Channel 73 Troop 5 Special Ops, to replace 31120. That's only a hunch. I think it's more likely they'll use that channel for Bike Weeks Ops than LE Common 5, but I could very well be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.