pro-164

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomanchoo27

I'm in dorchester county sc and am totally clueless about programming this scanner to listen to police, gsm, and ems. Any help would be grateful. I have a police radio in hand and when it is activated by dispatch or a cop I can't seem to hear it on my scanner. I might just return back to the shack and say the Hell with it. Also talkgroups, and all that information is Greek to me. I've read the manual but i must not understand what I am seeing.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
I'm in dorchester county sc and am totally clueless about programming this scanner to listen to police, gsm, and ems. Any help would be grateful. I have a police radio in hand and when it is activated by dispatch or a cop I can't seem to hear it on my scanner. I might just return back to the shack and say the Hell with it. Also talkgroups, and all that information is Greek to me. I've read the manual but i must not understand what I am seeing.

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your Pro-164. Try reading the "Easier to Read Manual":
Easier to Read Pro-164/163 PSR300/C/400/C Scanner Manual

I hand programmed my 164 after reading this manual, but then scored a cheap cable later just to make things easier.
What part of Dorchester County are you? Maybe I could give you a hand.... Or the radio Shack in Summerville will program it for you. They want $40.

Ron

LarrySC

To have a Walkie Talkie in one hand and a scanner in the other is the most dangerous thing a person could do. In many cases that will ZAP the scanner receiver, especially at 800 MHz. More power to'ya.

kf5qgf

I second both posts, the easier to read programming manual is the bee's knees. It helped me with my 163 (same scanner, but the desktop version) and also, you have that ht in your hand and you're gonna get major desense on your scanner, and if you dare key up you'll over load that scanner big time.

boomanchoo27

I live in saint George, I have read the easier to read manual, I think i just might be trucking illiterate. I'll keep that in mind about the two-way and scanner deal. I work for dorchester county public works. If u want to meet and help out that would be great. Boomanchoo27@gmail.com, email and I'll give u my number. Thanks everybody.

kf5qgf

I'm off to work now but i'll post on this and help you out tonight when i get home. are you trying an edacs, moto, or ltr system? moto is super easy, the others are a pain in the a$$,

Craig
KF5QGF

boomanchoo27

The two way is a Motorola, and I think that is what they are using. I tried putting in the 4 numbers but can't put in a frequencies.

kf5qgf

Ok, let's talk you through this. Pick an empty bank that you want to use as your bank for public safety. South Carolina uses a statewide radio system so you're going to hear ALOT of traffic on this once you get the freqs put in. So you're going to want to program in just the dorchester county talk groups and close the bank if that's all you want to listen to. Ok, So let's assume you choose bank 7 as your public safety bank. Press the prog button until you see the M before whatever channel you're on, then type in 700 to take you to channel 700.
Press program again until you see P700, then insert this frequency, 856.76250, then press ent and the up arrow unti you see P701, then insert this frequency, 857.46250 then press ent

Continue to do this with these frequencies, switching channels every time.
Channel 702-857.76250
Channel 703-858.46250
Channel 704-858.76250
Channel 705-859.46250
Channel 706-860.46250

Now press the arrow down until you're back on 700. Press the mode button three times until the channel reads P700Mo.
Repeat this for every channel. They should read--- P700mo P701mo P702mo P703mo P704mo P705mo P706mo.

Ok With me so far?

Now press FUNC-TRUNK and it should read "ID Bank 7 Trunking mode not selected, press Mode key." Press this once and it should now be a motorola type trunking system. You can now program in the applicable talk groups for Dorchester County. Those are as follows.

14640 393 A DorCo EMS 1 Dorchester Co. EMS Ch 1 Ops EMS Dispatch
14672 395 A DorCo EMS 2 Dorchester Co. EMS Ch 2 Night EMS-Tac
15088 3af A DorCo EMS 3 Dorchester Co. EMS Ch 3 Admin Law Talk
14688 396 A DorEMS Sumvl Dorchester Co. EMS to Summerville ER Hospital
14256 37b A DorEMS Roper Dorchester Co. EMS to Roper Northwoods ER Hospital
15056 3ad A DorEMS Wltrb Dorchester Co. EMS to Walterboro ER Hospital
14656 394 A DorEMS Tride Dorchester Co. EMS to Trident ER Hospital
14608 391 A DorCo FD RQ Dorchester Co. Fire Rescue Fire-Tac
14496 38a A DorCo FD Cmd Dorchester Co. Fire Rescue Command Fire-Tac
14352 381 A Drchster EOC Dorchester EOC Ops/EMS Command Emergency Ops
14544 38d A St George PD St. George PD Law Dispatch

Ignore all the middle numbers that start with 3, you won't need those. Ignore 393, 395, 3af etc. When you program one in you can press text and type in the name of the talk group.

I hope this helps. I work tomorrow then I'm off for a week. If you need more help send me an e-mail at kf5qgf@live.com and we'll work through it.

Craig
KF5QGF

kf5qgf

By the way, if it'll be easier, you can ship it to me with a return shipping label and I'll program it as best I can from 700 miles away and ship it back. I'd meet you somewhere but I'm just south of Memphis and don't have plans to be in SC any time soon.

boomanchoo27

Dnchlson, thanks. Is this radio in now what's called trucking mode? Or is that something different. Thanks for everybody's help.

boomanchoo27

Do i have to enter these frequencies and talk groups in order as listed. And two of those frequencies sounds like a diesel engine which is digital from what I've read on here.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
I made the offer to help as I'm local. I don't charge, my earlier message just refered to the Summerville RS which does charge.
EDIT: Sorry, I missed your post that you were in St George, I'll e-mail you now.

A local McDonald's is good since they have free Wi-Fi and I can use my laptop to get you going with the frequencies that you want.
PM me.
Ron

Last edited:

kf5qgf

no the diesel truck sounds are the motorola control channel. Once you change the channel type to motorola it will ignore those. Those channels control which frequency the transmissions bounce to. And once you program in all the freqs, then set them all to motorola, then set the bank to motorola, press scan and you're in trunking mode.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Glad to help!
It was nice to meet you and your family.
Good luck with your baby girl, let us know how it goes.
Ron

boomanchoo27

HHRJ I will let you know, now a new question is when a bank is closed do i hear all talk groups or just the ones I have stored?

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Yep, as dnchlson said. Function + Delay will toggle it open or closed as indictaed by the - or + next to VC on the 3rd line of the display. With + displayed you should hear everything that is coming across, if you hear something that you like quickly press T to save it. Then later you can assign it an alpha numeric tag by following the directions in Easier to Read.
Also, your can enter other talk group ID's by hand too. Take a look at the Pal800 list in the SC data base on RR and use the instructions in EtR for "Programming Talk Group Ids", "To Manually Store an ID". Just key in the number for the talk group that you want.
Take care,
Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.