SC Dept. of Natrl Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra

Premium Subscriber
DNR Encrypted, or What ?

In the last year I have heard fewer voice comms and more and more "buzzing" noises on the Georgetown and Aynor repeaters. Can anyone tell me what this is all about ?

cobra

Premium Subscriber
P-25 Digital ?

I have P-25 capable digtal scanners, but they don't do anything for this. They work fine on P-25 trunking systems, so that is why I thought maybe there was something else going on here on the vhf repeater systems. If that is indeed the case, do you know what I can do to hear the P-25 traffic on the vhf DNR repeaters ?

evan

Database Admin
I have P-25 capable digtal scanners, but they don't do anything for this.

None of my radios recognize the digital noise as P25 either. I could be wrong, but I'm wondering if it is some sort of data as it doesn't seem to last long enough to carry voice traffic.

trumpetman

Database Admin
If it's short data bursts that are inconsistent, it could be a beacon for roaming. We have a similar setup on a federal system in NC. It's short inconsistent burst in P25 and my scanner won't recognize it either.

cobra

Premium Subscriber
That is what it sounds like Chris. Just short 1 or 2 second buzz-saw bursts, mostly ocurring just before midnight. Can you tell me more about how it works? I can hear it on a non-P-25 scanner whereas if it were a P-25 signal that scanner would hear nothing at all. My P-25 scanner does the same, so I don't think it is a P-25 signal.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Pretty simple concept, the system in use here has a common input and several different outputs. Each output transmits a burst of data. If a radio is setup for conventional voting scan, it will track and roam accordingly. This allows a wide area system to be condensed to a single personality in a radio. This can be done in analog with no beacon, but that is usually easier on busy systems. The DNR system is quiet a lot of tkme so I it needs that beacon to keep roaming and signal strength readings going to radios every little while.

There's always the possibility that they're using status messages or TMS featurss as well...but roaming beacons seem more prevalent.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
They're not just short bursts. This morning on 151.325, the bursts lasted as long as ten minutes. Could it be data bursts for an in vehicle computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.