Horry TRS CC Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

b443sc

Is anyone having very serious interference on the control channel for the HC TRS - 857.2125 tonight? Reception across the system took a nosedive for me about 20 minutes ago when the control channel changed at midnight.

There's certainly something else transmitting on 857.2125. That's listed in the DB as frequencies for three other trunked systems in SC. I can hear another station transmitting clearly when the Horry CC fades out. It sounds like some sort of data, but I don't recognize it as a trunking control channel I've ever heard before.

I've always had issues with interference on this one specific frequency, but never this severe. I'm seeing 5% decode at times. Could this be skip from another system somewhere? :confused:

it could be one of the new nextel aka sprint cell towers data channel im here in florence and its strong on 857.2125 i cant even get horry when its cc is on that freq

b443sc

Hmm, it might a Nextel tower somewhere. I wouldn't think it would be one in Florence, judging by how strong the signal was in Horry County. I could hear some kind of constant data I've never recognized before. Thinking about it, it couldn't have been a Motorola or P25 system, so the Nextel idea sounds about right unfortunately.

LarrySC

Your scanners have 2 ATT modes. Learn to use them. Also use a shorter antenna than the stock OEM antenna. On my PRO-106, I use a 3" 800MHz 1/4 wave for all freqs.

b443sc

I'll certainly try using the attenuator next time I have an issue with it. I've never had the need to use the attenuator on any of the Horry frequencies, but I'll give it a shot. Normally I use the 800mhz GRE antenna. I've tried using the stock rubber duckie as well and the signal was completely unusable on that frequency only with it.

The reason I was posting is due to the sudden nature of the problem. I didn't really consider it at the time to be overload, but I've never experienced overload in my area before due to it being relatively low RF when compared to more urban areas.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Not specifically related to this post, but I updated the database with a newly reported control channel frequency for Horry Co: 854.4125.

troymail

Silent Key
I guess if you can't track it, this may be a dumb question but.... are system subscribers reporting any problems? In my area, for at least one system, they've in the past had such severe interference, they moved off their own system for a while to a neighboring system while they tracked down the source of interference that they themselves were seeing.

I was in the Horry County area a week ago but unfortunately can't provide any further assistance at this point. However, if you are getting interference, the last thing you want to do is use the RS/GRE 800Mhz antenna. It'll just make it worse.

b443sc

Thanks for keeping the system updated, brian.

The past few nights the officers and dispatchers have been reporting on numerous occasions that they're having issues copying transmissions. It generally seems like they have the most problems when 857.2125 is in use as a voice channel. So they are noticing that this is an issue, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.