Handheld bcd396xt receive range

Status
Not open for further replies.

krs3

Feed Provider
I have a question... I live approximately 30 miles from the EMS agency I wish to monitor that uses the Palmetto 800. Would I have a chance of receiving their transmission using the rubber duck antenna or would I have to add an outside antenna? Thanks

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
How close to your location is the nearest PAL 800 tower?

Does the nearest tower handle the agencies you want to listen to?

The RR database will tell you which tower you need and the control channels required.

krs3

Feed Provider
I am in Chesterfield County and want to monitor Kershaw County EMS and Fire. They still dispatch on VHF but the ambulance communications are on 800mhz now. I really dont know a lot about 800mhz but I am starting to try and do some research and learn, Thanks for any help. I am a ham radio operator and have used VHF radios with our local EMS for years. Thanks for any advice.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
You have two possibilities, North Kershaw or Camden towers. Enter the control frequencies for each in your 396 as regular frequencies just to see which one has better signal strength or you could put both into your 396 as two different trunked systems as well as Chesterfield.
Good luck!

krs3

Feed Provider
there is a tower that is 7 miles north of me (McBee) on US1...I guess that is one you are referring to. I have not purchased a new scanner yet. Just trying to get a feel for if I can monitor on a handheld instead of a base. Also I do have a regular older 800mhz scanner that is not a trunk tracker. Is it possible to receive the analog frequencies on this scanner for Kershaw EMS. I am not sure if they are on digital or not. Thanks Again.

LarrySC

Here in the Upstate I've found that almost every large system uses 3 towers to feed a strong signal into the area. Two agencys, one dispatched from Greenwood and the other from Laurens use a tower to the north to fill in an area that has a shadow. The distance from cars are heard is a full 50 miles to the north tower. If you were well north of that tower then the distance could be 65 miles. It's a simple case of programming the same TG into several banks using a different tower. After a couple of days you have it nailed down. Good Luck.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> Just trying to get a feel for if I can monitor on a handheld instead of a base.

You can use a non-trunking scanner - if it receives 800 MHz. - to listen to the control channels for particular sites and get an idea of how strong the continuous data stream of the control channel is. The site frequencies are listed on the "Palmetto 800" page on Radio Reference:

Palmetto 800 Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

As Barry008 and Trunktracker71 suggested, I would encourage you to check the three Pal 800 site control frequencies. I would also suggest you check the signal strengths both outside your residence, and inside in the room you might tend to monitor in.

The Middendorf site (Chesterfield / McBee) should give you the best signal, but the construction of a residence may attentuate a signal enough to make the data stream unreadable inside the house. Conversely, 800 MHz. signals can propagate during the nightime hours.

If you decide to purchase a handheld trunktracker, there are antennas specifically tuned to enhance 800 MHz. reception. Radio Shack sells a very popular duckie for 800 use.

>> Also I do have a regular older 800mhz scanner that is not a trunk tracker. Is it possible to receive the analog frequencies on this scanner for Kershaw EMS. I am not sure if they are on digital or not.

On the same Palmetto 800 URL cited above, you will also find a list of identified system talkgroups. The list begins with state agency talkgroups, followed by county / local agency talkgroups. An "A" of "D" listed next to the talkgroup indicates whether the talkgroup is analog or P25 digital.

Kershaw County Fire Dispatch and Kershaw County EMS Dispatch are both listed as analog, although that will eventually change.

You can also use a non-trunking scanner, if it receives 800 MHz., to listen to the voice frequencies of a Motorola analog trunking site. There are some issues with monitoring that way, though:

- talkgroups are not assigned to specific frequencies ... they can air on any of the site voice freqs
- you will not be able to control what you hear ... you will hear every talkgroup airing on the site
- you may miss hearing EMS comms because your scanner has stopped on other active comms
- you will hear digital noise everytime your scanner receives a talkgroup using P25 modulation
- you will only hear a particular talkgroup if there is a radio on that talkgroup affiliated with the site you are monitoring *

* Even when using a trunktracking scanner, affiliation is still an issue. If you want to monitor ambulance communications, someone on that talkgroup must be affiliated with the site you are monitoring (in most cases).

Last edited:

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
In reference to Krs 3's questions, I noticed that the Chesterfield / McBee site frequencies are also licensed for use by a site in Hartsville, under the callsign WQLF345:

ULS License - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Trunked License - WQLF345 - SC Budget & Control Bd (DSIT)

This license is active, and was updated recently. It is not listed in the RR database, according to my very poor eyesight.

So, I'm curious whether this is an old site that was moved, or was made inactive ?

Or, is it a simulcast site with McBee ... they are just down the road from each other ?

scscannerjunkie

Premium Subscriber
In reference to Krs 3's questions, I noticed that the Chesterfield / McBee site frequencies are also licensed for use by a site in Hartsville, under the callsign WQLF345:

ULS License - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Trunked License - WQLF345 - SC Budget & Control Bd (DSIT)

This license is active, and was updated recently. It is not listed in the RR database, according to my very poor eyesight.

So, I'm curious whether this is an old site that was moved, or was made inactive ?

Or, is it a simulcast site with McBee ... they are just down the road from each other ?

It is a simulcast of the Chesterfield site...it covers the Hartsville area. Been there several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.