HP-1 and Palmetto (Project 25) monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbellows

Is anyone else using the Uniden HomePatrol in the lowcountry? Mine doesn't seem to recieve signal on the Project 25 system...

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Where exactly are you located? The active towers are in the Charleston, Beaufort and Anderson Co areas. While there is a tower located and active in Columbia, there have not be any reports of voice activity on that site.

rbellows

I'm in the Cola area, but spend a lot of time in Chas/ Summerville and am only recieving Pal 800, NWS, and various others. I have yet to pick anything up from Project 25 even though it is in the scan list...

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
When you're in Charleston, are you receiving any radio traffic from any Charleston-area public safety agency, such as any Charleston Co FD, EMS, CCSO, North Charleston PD, Charleston PD, etc? If so, you're receiving traffic on the Palmetto P25 system.

You likely won't hear anything on the system in the Collumbia area.

If you don't receive any Charleston area public safety agencies on the HP-1, we need to look into why it's not activating that system properly on your radio.

mlindler

Premium Subscriber
My HP-1 Picks up the P25 system great here in the upstate and down in Charleston. I've never tried in Columbia. Sounds like an antenna, or settings issue.

ONEOWONDER

Premium Subscriber
Is Palmetto (Project 25) encrypted?

Hello,

I am new to RadioReference.com and have just purchased a Uniden BCD396XT and am hoping that in Charleston,if the Palmetto (Project 25) is encrypted. If not, does anyone know if it is going to be, in the near future. I did hear that it was very expensive to implement.

not at this time its not but they do have some encrypted talkgroups also I have heard from a very good source that Florence county may be going p 25 in the near future they are trying to get the funding together to do it

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I assume that you meant to say "I am hoping that in Charleston, the Palmetto P25 is NOT encrypted."

Encryption is done on a talkgroup-by-talkgroup basis, and even radio-by-radio basis. Sometimes you may hear a conversation with one side encrypted, and the other in the clear.

At this time, a relatively few number of talkgroups in the Charleston area are encrypted. You'll find most agencies are in the clear. That decision is typically made at the agency level, not at the system level.

Any agency in Charleston Co could opt to encrypt at any time. The cost would depend on the options that were purchased for their subscriber radios at the time of purchase. If they purchased the encryption option originally, the cost to implement it might be pretty low. If not, you're correct that it would be relatively expensive and time consuming to implement.

I believe that, unless something notable changes, most agencies will not soon encrypt, since they didn't opt for encryption when they migrated to this system 4-5 years ago. That might be wishful thinking on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.