new Pal 800 sites listed on FCC Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1879

a fellow radio enthusiast, Glenn Mitchell, makes FCC Database info available on his website at: Weekly South Carolina FCC Grants . The link shown is for the latest SC page. I note many new sites on this most recent list, I am not sure when they are to be operational. Some of those places are quite interesting.

I plugged the link given into Internet Explorer to confirm that it was working.
Does anyone have any comments about some of these fascinating new places? The Long Creek site is one where SCHP has long had a dead spot on 800 mhz. I think that was one of the few places where the old low-band vhf was still king, until they removed the units from all cars.

p1879

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I may be incorrect, but I don't see any NEW Palmetto 800 licenses issued on this report. All of these are license modifications, and it appears that most modifications are to remove pre-rebanding frequencies and emission designators. Some modifications might include location changes - I didn't look at all of them. But I think most if not all of them are long-existing licenses.

Which license are you specifically referring to regarding Long Creek? If it's WPUZ485, that license was originally issued in 2002.

p1879

I was unaware there is an 800 mhz site at Long Creek. Perhaps it is just licensed and not operational?
Likewise, I have never heard of a site located atop Burns Hall (dormitory) on campus at Clemson, or one at the Oconee Nuclear Station. I am always happy to learn about new things, my knowledge about 800 mhz systems is far from complete. Brian, do you have a good handle on how those FCC listings describe which may be the control channel(s)? My guess is the frequencies described as "land mobile control station meeting 20 rule" are the CC frequencies. I am always happy to be incorrect and subsequently enlightened by another radio enthusiast- that is the wonderful thing about these forums!
p

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
On Motorla Legacy "Type I, Type II Hybrid, and Type II" SmartNet, SmartZone, SmartZone OmniLink 800 Mhz TRS's: Any 4 of assigned frequencies could be the CC, or Alternate CC. EVERY frequency at each site has emissions designators for voice, and data. On some systems the CC rotates between just 2 of the 4 except when changes, or repairs etc are being made. On others it rotates between all 4. The only we we the scanner listener ever knows which is the curent CC is by monitoring the site, unless your running trunking analysis software like UniTrunker, Trunk-88, T4Win etc which tells you not only the current CC, but AC's, Site Numbers, SysID, Connect Tones, and lots of other data. Of course a few of the newer scanners can also do all this for you. Hope this helps some and not to deep in the jargon etc.:cool:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
If you look at the each listing, they start with a radio service identifier. Those that are licensed by SC for the 800MHz systems are usually YE (trunked) or GE (conventional 800MHz). Those liceses you're looking at for Burns Hall and Oconee Nuclear Station have the GE radio service identifier. These are used by SC for the 800MHz conventional interoperability repeaters, commonly referred to as the 8TAC channels. You'll find these listed generically on the SC Interoperability database page, but there's a link in the Wiki to the SC DSIT website that shows a state map with each conventional repeater shown.

In these particular locations you're referencing, I don't beleive that there is a Palmetto 800 trunked sited located there.

As Milf said, the FCC doesn't maintain information in their database that indicates which frequencies are used as control channels. That's a decision left to the individual system administrators, and for us hobbiests to determine/document from monitoring.

p1879

Now I get it. Kind of you all to educate me. I would never have understood those places would facilitate interop. Really, beyond Lo VHF DXing I am behind the times,
So thanks for the patience, and I will add some frequencies,
p

Status
Not open for further replies.