Edisto Beach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckinSC

Premium Subscriber
I'm familiar with the conventional frequencies at this location but have a question regarding trunking at Edisto Beach. It's relatively isolated; does anyone know if I'll likely be able to receive a trunking site for either Palmetto 800 or Project 25 while I'm there? I'll be using either a GRE 400 or 500 with the supplied antenna or the RS 800mhz handheld antenna. (I won't be using a roof or special antenna). Thanks.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
My wife and I recently vacationed there, and the answer is yes. I received both using a BCD396XT and Uniden Home Patrol, both with the RS 800 antenna. I was on the second floor in Wyndham's The Villages section.

Great place to visit; we enjoyed it thoroughly!

Last edited:

KC1UA

Database Admin
For Palmetto I had the following programmed: Ravenel, Port Royal, Charleston, Bluffton, and Yemassee.
For Palmetto P25: Beaufort and Charleston.

The Home Patrol did its own thing as it usually does. Without going back and looking at a county map of the area I can't recall which sites worked, but they most definitely did work and I heard a lot of traffic.

ChuckinSC

Premium Subscriber
That's a great help. We'll be there for our annual vacation next week - can't wait! By the way, I'll be using a GRE 500 and 600 (I misidentified them in the original post).

Next I've got to find out if I can monitor both the Palmetto 800 and PAL25 at the same time since they are two separate systems; that's something I've never tried to do since I'm in Palmetto 800 country (Columbia area).

ChuckinSC

Premium Subscriber
That shouldn't be an issue.

My wife and I were there for the first time in early May, it's a great place and we'll go back again I'm certain.
Glad y'all enjoyed it. Maybe not the prettiest beaches but it's certainly laid back. We've been going there 20 years or more. :)

KC1UA

Database Admin
The beach at Botany Bay is beautiful though. That was a nice short trip. We spent some time at the beach but a lot of time by the pool as well. It was pretty windy a good portion of the time we were there. It was a laid back and relaxing time to be certain. We went to Charleston a few days as well. The locals were complaining about how cold it was by comparison to where the temp should have been at that time of year. I'm sure it's pretty warm there now.

Have a good time and enjoy the scanning. I didn't do an overwhelming amount of it when we were there but when I did monitor I had good results.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I haven't been to Edisto in many years, but looking at the site maps, it looks like the Ravenel site #27 is your best bet. It's a bit of a stretch from Edisto but based on CapCod's comments, it sounds like you'll be in good shape. I have had trouble monitoring that site with the PRO-106 and RS 800MHz antenna from Kiawah island, just a bit north of Edisto. But I think that has more to do with desense from nearby wireless tower site than distance from the Ravenel site.

A transmission site for the Palmetto P25 Charleston simulcast site is located in that same location as Site #27 near Hollywood, SC. There is an additional site near the intersection of Bohicket Rd and River Road northeast of Kiawah. You'll be able to hear radio traffic from downtown Charleston on that system.

It seems unlikely to me that you'd be able to hear sites from the Beaufort direction, but given that much of that distance is over water, maybe so. Remember that all LE talkgroups used in Beaufort County are encrypted.

Good luck - report back what your monitoring experience is.

ChuckinSC

Premium Subscriber
I'm reporting back, sorry for the delay. One of pet peeves is to read a thread only to have it end without the final outcome.

I must say that my experience was limited and disappointing. We stayed at a typical beachfront cottage in the 100 block of Palmetto Blvd - not far from the Pavilion and bend at the Horizon station. Using the PRE 500 and the RS800 antenna I was able to receive both systems, though not strongly. The PAL800 was the stronger of the two but I limited my scans to traffic related to that area. As you know, there isn't a whole lot of radio traffic for that area on PAL800 so it was largely silent. There was quite a bit more traffic on P25 but the radio was not able to completely decipher the digital signals. They were in-out at best and really not usable.

'Hope this helps someone else in the future. Scott (scancapecod) had success while I had little. It must be that Edisto is one of those "iffy" fringe areas where location is everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.