Palmetto 800 P25 Conversion Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Time to start logging the Site ID, RFSS and talkgroups....

Highway Patrol Troop 6 + Holly Hill – June 19-23, 2017.
(Jasper, Beaufort, Colleton, Dorchester, Charleston, Berkeley)

Highway Patrol Troop 5 + Chesterfield – June 26-30, 2017.
(Williamsburg, Georgetown, Horry, Marion, Florence Dillon, Marlboro, Darlington, Chesterfield)

Master-Site Reconfiguration – July 2-21, 2017

Highway Patrol Troop 7 + Augusta, GA – July 31-August 4, 2017
(Orangeburg, Calhoun, Bamberg, Allendale, Hampton, Barnwell, Aiken)

Highway Patrol Troop 1 + Sandy Run – August 14-18, 2017.
(Lexington, Richland, Kershaw, Lee, Sumter, Clarendon)

Highway Patrol Troop 2 – August 28-September 1, 2017.
(Newberry, Laurens, Saluda, Edgefield, McCormick, Greenwood, Abbeville)

Highway Patrol Troop 4 – September 11-15, 2017.
(Lancaster, York, Chester, Chesterfield, Fairfield)

Highway Patrol Troop 3 + Cherokee – September 25-29, 2017.
(Spartanburg, Greenville, Anderson, Pickens, Oconee, Cherokee)

http://www.masc.sc/SiteCollectionDocuments/Risk Management/P-25 Letter 03-07-17.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.

(Williamsburg, Georgetown, Horry, Marion, Florence Dillon, Marlboro, Darlington, Chesterfield)

http://www.masc.sc/SiteCollectionDocuments/Risk Management/P-25 Letter 03-07-17.pdf

Lowcountry first, then East Coastal... Then inland , and ending with Upstate. Anyone know if they are going multi zone/multi core, or going with just one in Cola?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
From what I'm reading online looks like all one core Should use same system ID as the current P25 system used by Charleston, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KF4JYE

Premium Subscriber
The attached document states, "No encryption fee is charged in the P25 fees." The existing Palmetto-800 system had surcharges for encryption. Now, without additional costs for encryption, we may see many more (if not all) agencies switch to encryption. Not good!

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
The reason for the surcharge was the talkgroups that were ENC were digital in the Smartzone. Since all P25 systems are purely digital, I believe this is the reason for not charging the additional fee. Most subscribers come standard now with minimum ADP, but most agencies won't use it since its weak encryption compared to DES or AES-256. Plus, under DHS SAFECOM the State would lose the funding if it's not 256 bit standard which would cause a hardware upgrade to the subscriber units at a significant cost. I've only seen re agencies go ENC when the system switches to Phase II because the XTL and XTS subscribers don't support TDMA. So when they order new APX subscribers, they get all the bells and whistles. But the switch to a Phase I from Smartzone only requires reprogramming. So I don't see it. If so, PD yes like Beaufort County but traditionally Fire/EMS sees right through that and understands interop can be affected.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Beaufort County, incidentally, encrypts EMS dispatch and ops channels, but not MED channels to hospitals. Also, some Beaufort County FDs have encrypted TAC and Ops channels. HHI Fire/Rescue is in the clear.

Fortunately, for now, Beaufort County seems to be an outlier in respect to encryption. And I hope it stays that way.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Beaufort County, incidentally, encrypts EMS dispatch and ops channels, but not MED channels to hospitals. Also, some Beaufort County FDs have encrypted TAC and Ops channels. HHI Fire/Rescue is in the clear.

Fortunately, for now, Beaufort County seems to be an outlier in respect to encryption. And I hope it stays that way.

Brian, I hope you are ready for daily updating! lol, i've got my disc tap/Trunk88 ready!

Caesar

Premium Subscriber

That is the order each county is switching over, they are using Highway Patrol Troops, but it will be every agency on pal8 in those counties.

lite_c

That is the order each county is switching over, they are using Highway Patrol Troops, but it will be every agency on pal8 in those counties.

That is what I was wondering, considering the memo is addressed to all users and agencies. I think they are working by troops and going by comms center (DPS/SCHP dispatch center in each troop), but that is only to organize the switch. Seeing that it concerns all users and addresses "all master sites," it should be all agencies switching over.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Correct, all Palmetto 800 users will switch to the Palmetto P25. New system ID and new talkgroup. All the sites will be upgraded. The new system is a Motorola P25 - 7.15 Core which utilizes Motorola Smart-X technology to migrate the network’s remaining 4.1 SmartZone sites to P25.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I'm always ready for updates, Caesar. No worries there. I've enjoying working all of the excellent submissions for the new Horry County system over the last few weeks. I hope we'll have folks from all over the state listening, making notes, keeping logs, and submitting information in a timely manner once the P25 cutover process begins in a couple of months.

Keep in mind that Trunk88 is a 3600bps control channel decoder only, it won't do you any good with P25 control channels. You'll want to get set up with Unitrunker or Pro96Com to gather data for the new sites. I highly recommend this method of monitoring and logging. I have my station set up also ready to go.

A couple of comments about submissions:

- Always use the formal submission process through this website. If you post information to the forums, I'll see it but it may take longer for the information to be updated in the database.
- You can remain anonymous when you submit information through the submission system.
- When possible, please submit information in the preferred formatting. This makes processing submissions for talkgroup updates easier for me. The formatting information is displayed as part of the submission process.

Thanks

INDY72

Have fun Brian. I just went through this with SAFE-T upgrades to P25. And in couple of years get to do the Phase II upgrades. AWIN is about to start Phase II upgrade so fun all around.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

INDY72

Get your scanners set to monitor P25 Low Country, Switchover starts tomorrow. Set up a new system, use the current Palmetto freqs, but set it up as P25, and ID search. I don't know the timing they have in mind, but will guess if its like every other switch they do, it will be after 10 PM thru say 4 AM? Also have your Pro96Com, Unitrunker, Discovery/Analyze etc ready to nab Site #, Site NAC, Adjacent Sites, Primary CC, Alternate CC, etc ready.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
SCHP Troop 4 / Chester includes NCHP Troop H dispatch in Monroe (east of Charlotte) among the agencies they call up during a roll call performed during the early morning hours. The roll call is performed on the S.C. mutual aid 4 talkgroup.

It is possible that there is a similar arrangement between SCHP Troop 3 and NCHP Asheville / Newton dispatch, as well as SCHP Troop 5 and NCHP Elizabethtown (Clarkton) Troop B dispatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.