Multiple County Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBD2347

Does anyone know if there is a way to pickup multiple county TG’s on one county’s site? Here in Sumter I can pick up Columbia FD and Calhoun Sheriff but no other TG’s from those counties. I’ve tried removing some control channels and changing the band plan, that’s how I gained Calhoun Sheriff TG. Anyone else know? I use to be able to pick up Clarendon and Lee but I believe once the simulcast got operational all of that went away. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBD2347

Does anyone know if there is a way to pickup multiple county TG’s on one county’s site? Here in Sumter I can pick up Columbia FD and Calhoun Sheriff but no other TG’s from those counties. I’ve tried removing some control channels and changing the band plan, that’s how I gained Calhoun Sheriff TG. Anyone else know? I use to be able to pick up Clarendon and Lee but I believe once the simulcast got operational all of that went away. Any ideas?

One other thing to mention is while scanning neighboring counties on their respective site I can pick up Sumter traffic but not the other way around.

jamiewmorris

It really depends on the talkgroup and what tower the system is programmed to broadcast it on.
Here in Kingstree, I can monitor Clarendon Co Fire Dispatch but not their SO channel because the system is set up not to broadcast that talkgroup on the Kingstree Site.
In Sumter, Columbia FD maybe broadcast on your site, but no others are programmed to do so...that is why you are only receiving those particular talkgroups.

You can not pick up Sumter Co talkgroups on the Sumter site? If that is happening, you have something programmed wrong, because that should be their main site and all talkgroups should come across on the Sumter site.

ocn29rsc

Couple of questions....First concerning Charleston Co., for a while I was making multiple trips daily and on my G-5 was running off site 10-Charleston Simulcast (County)...this worked just fine. Know I see other sites added to it...site 9-Charleston Simulcast (State), 11-Edisto Island (Charleston County), and 13-North Charleston (Charleston County). So is all this for chas co vs state? or all related?

Looking SCHP at assignments under troop-7 should Aiken Co. not be part of troop-7 but nothing in there?

Thanks.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Lots of questions to answer here.

A particular site will only carry the audio of talkgroups that have radios affiliated to that talkgroup on that site. A radio could be a mobile or portable radio, or a radio dispatch console. So, if Columbia FD talkgroup is carried on the Sumter site, it's because a radio is affiliated to that talkgroup on the Sumter site. Is it possible that a radio console in the Sumter dispatch center is monitoring Columbia FD for mutual aid purposes?

It's worth noting that agencies pay service fees that are, in part, based on the number of sites their talkgroups are authorized on. So, it's possible (if not likely) that Sumter County only pays for their talkgroups to be carried on the Sumter site and no others. This is why many agencies have a dedicated "Roam" talkgroup that's authorized regionally or statewide, and they only pay for that access on one talkgroup. So you might be a radio use from Sumter and you roam to the Richland site and the system prevents you from affiliating due to lack of authorization.

Bottom line, you as a passive listener have no control over what talkgroups are carried on a particular site.

Charleston is a different situation from other counties. In simple terms, Charleston maintains their own infrastructure and frequencies, but they share the state "core controller." For Charleston County, this means they maintain control and responsibility for their sites and radios and talkgroups, as though it's a completed separate system (like in Horry or York County). But because they use the state core controller, the SysID is the same as Palmetto 800.

So the sites marked as Charleston (County) (sites 10, 11, 12 and 13) will (in general) only carry Charleston County talkgroups. They will not allow other system users to share their infrastructure and capacity.

Therefore, Palmetto 800 operates separate but overlapping sites (9, 15, 18) to serve non-Charleston County agencies. You (in general) won't hear Charleston County talkgroups on these sites.

From a scanning standpoint, treat the Charleston County sites as a separate system. The same is true with Beaufort County. Site 63 is the Beaufort County site, and sites 60 and 61 are the "state" sites.

Other counties allow other agencies to share their infrastructure and capacity. Florence County is an example. Other counties allow Palmetto 800 to own, control and maintain their counties's sites. Anderson and Sumter are examples. This is why the Palmetto 800 Effingham, Sumter and Anderson sites "disappeared" after the cutovers in the last few months.

I hope this helps explain some things.

TBD2347

That would make sense if I couldn’t hear Sumter traffic on other sites but not those same counties on the Sumter site. Any ideas there? I just assume if I can hear Sumter on the clarendon site then I should be able to hear Clarendon on the Sumter site (which was the case up until about a few weeks ago)

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
No, not all counties pay Palmetto 800 for their talkgroups to roam to certain other sites. Sumter may say "we only want our talkgroups active on the Sumter Simulcast site." Clarendon might say, "we want to roam to the Sumter site."

It's not the counties working with each other with reciprocal agreements. It's the counties working with Palmetto 800 to manage their system service costs.

TBD2347

Ok, so how do I get the Sumter site and not the simulcast Sumter site? Because I can hear Sumter on clarendons site, but cannot hear Clarendon on the current Sumter site programmed off of RR

TBD2347

Ok, so how do I get the Sumter site and not the simulcast Sumter site? Because I can hear Sumter on clarendons site, but cannot hear Clarendon on the current Sumter site programmed off of RR

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
There is no "other" Sumter site anymore. It went away with the transition to P25. The only site that covers Sumter is the simulcast site, Site 1-43.

If you don't hear Clarendon County on the Sumter site, then you'll have to monitor a different site that does carry Clarendon. If the Manning site is out of range for you, then you might be out of luck.

For each sight that you think you might be in range of, monitor each of those control channel frequencies conventionally, and determine if you can hear the control channel at all. If so, plug it in and see what you hear. That will give you an idea of which talkgroups are commonly carried on that particular site.

ocn29rsc

Going back to pal-25 for the Charleston area...I got sites 10, 11, 12, and 13 for the Co. Understand that sites 9, 15, and 18 are for pal-25, but what about sites 58 and 59-pal-25?

Thanks.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Sites 1-58 and 59 are "state" sites that carry state and other county agency talkgroups and not Charleston County talkgroups.

Site 1-10, the Charleston County simulcast site, has sites all over the county, including into Awendaw and McClellanville to the north and down past Ravenel to the south. So it covers almost all of the county.

Site 1-9, the Palmetto 800 simulcast site, only covers the Peninsula, West Ashley, some of Johns Island, IOP, and into North Charleston. But the Knightsville site to the West, Ravenel site to the South and Awendaw site to the North cover the more extreme areas of the county for Palmetto 800.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
So the sites marked as Charleston (County) (sites 10, 11, 12 and 13) will (in general) only carry Charleston County talkgroups. They will not allow other system users to share their infrastructure and capacity.

Therefore, Palmetto 800 operates separate but overlapping sites (9, 15, 18) to serve non-Charleston County agencies. You (in general) won't hear Charleston County talkgroups on these sites.

From a scanning standpoint, treat the Charleston County sites as a separate system.

Just an FYI, not all the Charleston "County" sites carry all the talkgroups. Stick with the simulcast. I had my Unication G5 (programmed with all County sites) side by side with my Whistler scanner (with only the simulcast). When the G5 roamed to the other sites, I missed alot of traffic. For example, on Site 12 and 13 I wouldn't get Mt. Pleasant, etc. but would get North Charleston.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Thanks for the information. Sites 12 and 13 are intended to provide additional coverage for the West/Northwest part of the county into Dorchester County. There wouldn't typically be subscriber radios from MP, IOP, Charleston City, etc affiliating with those sites.

ocn29rsc

Ok that is good to know..when I was last through there Just what I had programmed was with simulcast and I was chas co all the way Georgetown ER.

Status
Not open for further replies.