SCE&G Where Are You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Since Palmetto 800 has successfully transitioned to P25, Has anyone received anything from SCE&G? I have not heard a peep on any 800 MHz frequencies, unless they are using the former 800 MHz Cellular frequencies which by law we are not supposed to monitor. I guess somewhere in the USA there are cellphones using 800 MHz.

If anyone has any info on the current SCE&G frequencies, please post here...

Just wondering, could SCE&G have gone the way of the FBI and are using a cellular phone type hook up? :confused:

Thanks,
AB4BF

KV4BL

Given all of the corruption at SCE&Greed that is currently coming to light in the news in the wake of the failed nuclear reactor deal, they might have "gone dark" or as you noted, be using some alternate comms path.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I'm told that SCE&G has migrated to a DMR system. I'm not sure which band (UHF or 800) or specifically what type of system it is. Folks in the areas served by SCE&G should search for such activity. I'm sorry I don't have any additional information.

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
Santee Cooper is in the process of upgrading their TRS to P25 Phase II throughout the year with switch-over happening "soon after". With the new capability of the system it wouldn't surprise me if SCE&G were switched over to the 900 system instead of staying on 800. With Pal800 trying to get ALL law enforcement/public safety in the state onto the system, they'd need as much capability freed up as possible which means moving all utilities to the Phase II system would probably work out in the long-run.

jamiewmorris

SCE&G/SCANA

I have stumbled across a DMR Tier 3 system in downtown Charleston one day when I was there and the frequency that it was on came back registered to SCANA...so with knowing that, I believe that they are moving over to a DMR Tier 3 system and are still in the build-out stages. There was no voice traffic on the system that I found that day (maybe encrypted). If you do a search for SCANA in the FCC database in the 850-870 Mhz range, you will find about 20 sites that have the DMR emissions designator, with more probably coming.

PSNC switched to DMR a few years ago (from their Motorola 900mhz trunked/conventional systems) so it's possible the SC side of the company saw how well it worked and wanted to save money.

(PSNC is a subsidiary of SCANA in case you was not aware)

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I have added a trunked radio system to the database for the SCANA/SCE&G Tier III DMR system. Link here: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9978

I was able to pick up a few sites when I was on the coast last week. Enough to get a start on the database entry. I did not monitor it long enough to hear any traffic. RAS is enabled on the system, according to DSD+ 2.89. I understand that the newer version of DSD+ added features related to TIII decoding.

If anyone else in the Midlands, Pee Dee, Savannah River or Lowcountry area of the state has ability to run DSD+, or a newer scanner with DMR decoding ability, give the system a try. I will try to upload a list of other licensed frequencies for other areas to give you a place to start with frequencies. Or search the FCC licenses for SCANA Services.

I'm told that this is the system that SCE&G is now using.

Good luck, and please post reports related to the system, or email me, or submit using the submission engine.

c4181

Feed Provider
I've been monitoring the Aiken & North Augusta sites for the past few hours. Everything has been encrypted so far.

I'll submit the information I gathered to the database later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.