Richland county (Columbia, SC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggribble

I have a Whistler WS1088 scanner and live in Richland county (Columbia, SC). Ever since the re-banding process started in SC, I have been unable to receive anything from trunked systems. I spoke with Whistler, and they advised me to update library. I'm still not hearing anything but conventional frequencies. I added a wildcard as suggested by Whistler and began to receive some transmissions but nothing like before. Do I need to erase the Palmetto P25 and Palmetto 800 talkgroups and reprogram or will the Whistler library eventually be updated so I will receive the same talkgroups previously programmed? Any help is appreciated.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I don't use the Library update feature on my PSR-800 scanner, which is essentially the same radio as the WS-1080. So what I tell you may not be 100% accurate. But I'll offer some suggestion.

The change that's occurred that you are referring to is not rebanding. The Palmetto 800 system has changed from a scanner TSYS type "MOT 800/900" system to a "P25 AUTO" system type.The system ID and System name have changed. And all of the talkgroup values have changed. From a database perspective, it's (almost) a completely new system.

Library updating requires a few distinct steps. You first download the new library data from the Whistler website to your PC. Then it prompts you to copy the Library data from your PC to your scanner's memory card. Neither of these steps makes any change to your scanner's actual configuration data. The third step it offers you is to update existing configuration items with the updated Library information. I don't know whether this process is "smart" enough to recognize that the Palmetto 800 system is now a new system from a database perspective, and so it may not recognize that new talkgroup values have been added. It may not be able to determine that the trunked system items in your configuration have changed.

You can check all of this yourself by copying the current configuration on your scanner to your PC and analyzing the trunk system types and talkgroups, comparing them to what's listed in the database. You may be required to make some changes manually, or import new data.

Again, I'm not very familiar with how the actual scan data update process works, but my guess it that it's not making all of the changes required in this case.

FrankJunior

Premium Subscriber
Hello neighbor! I live on the east side of Richland County. I started a thread here about my recent problems with my Uniden BCD996XT. After updating my scanner from the database I was still not satisfied with my reception. After moving my antenna around which is in the attic, things improved greatly. I'm still going to install an outside antenna at some point though. Good luck with yours.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Like Brian said you have to change the System type, I've had to do the same with my dad's RadioShack/GRE scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.