Lancaster county

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

W4ZMJ

Guess lancaster county only can here ems and fire department? No police period?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
That's what I'm told. All law enforcement and EMS ops will be encrypted as of next week. Fire/EMS dispatch and fire ops will be in the clear.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
LCWC P25 Law Enforcement Encryption

It didn't happen yet. Will post an update when it changes...:mad:

EMS Ops have always been encrypted between Hospitals.
Don't think EMS dispatches will change. We'll see.

Maybe they'll forget. :D

W

W4ZMJ

Na they want forget glad i dont live there not going to go into the whole encryption thing on what I think about any big situations they will send EMS or fire to a call I'm assuming that the highway patrol is not using that system of theirs

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
My bad

I apologize for my previous post.. Though it may apply, I didn't notice the South Carolina at the top..
My post was intended for Lancaster PA which is also set to go encrypted this month. What a coincidence. Same names, same switch (LE), nearly the same time frame to encryption as well!! :roll:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I'm assuming that the highway patrol is not using that system of theirs

The system Lancaster County will be using is part of the state-wide Palmetto 800 P25 system. Unlike York, Marion and Horry Counties, which operate their own, independent systems.

So SCHP will be using the same system, the same site, the same frequencies, but they will not be encrypted.

There is much less cost associated with encryption on the P25 platform, so that's a major barrier removed for implementing encrypted channels.

sthreatt

Lancaster County SC has held out for a long time on analog. So are they switching to 800 mhz encrypted ?

jbix1958

Premium Subscriber
Listening this morning to an EMS/fire department assist call...as part of the dispatch they mentioned channel "OP 6" - so I assume they have started already or just testing it out?

sthreatt

I'm picking up a lot of activity out of Lancaster County tonight but so far have not been able to identify what it is, except that some are rescue calls, some are police calls, and some I believe to be troop 4 HP. Showing 6 different frequencies in the 771 to 772 range, and using 4 different TGID's, 45106 , 42001 , 50232 , and 45102. All in the clear, not encrypted. I'm in southern Kershaw County so my signal is weak. 42001 are police calls ( disturbances, assault, excessive noise, etc, but don't know if "headquarters" is a reference to Lancaster City PD or Lancaster Sheriffs Dept. .... Have now identified 50232 as being Chester, District 4 HP .... 45101 is EMS Dispatch .

Last edited:

jbix1958

Premium Subscriber
45106 should be Lancaster County Fire/EMS OP 6 channel. It is an encrypted channel for passing "sensitive" info to fire/ems crews when responding to EMS calls.

With that being said, RR database only lists ops 1 to ops 5. The ID's are listed in order - 45101 is ops 1, 45102 is ops 2, etc. So I programmed in 45106 for ops 6 and after a call was dispatched for fire/ems & they were instructed to use "ops 6" I did pick up encrypted traffic on that channel.

It seems that ALL traffic after the dispatch for a "joint" fire/EMS call will use the encrypted channel, whether the info is sensitive or not. It is written in the county's 800MHz plan that these ops channels (ops 6 to ops 9) "should be assigned primarily to EMS calls where critical secured information can be disseminated." They use a broad stroke of the brush for what "critical secured information" is defined as because they say that ALL traffic on these calls including unit updates and closing the call will be on the encrypted channel. I believe that the HIPAA laws came into play on this topic.

W

W4ZMJ

Well in that case they should encrypt Highway Patrol they give out a lot information that sensitive to I might hear somebody I know get stopped when they're giving out tags vehicle descriptions where the person lives their name maybe telephone numbers Etc

jbix1958

Premium Subscriber
It's state rules vs. county rules. Not one size fits all. If the state sees fit I'm sure one day they'll encrypt it. After all on a P25 system it's basically just a software change.

jbix1958

Premium Subscriber
That's what I'm told. All law enforcement and EMS ops will be encrypted as of next week. Fire/EMS dispatch and fire ops will be in the clear.

According to the county's plan SO dispatch will not be encrypted, but just about everything else is.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I'm picking up a lot of activity out of Lancaster County tonight but so far have not been able to identify what it is, except that some are rescue calls, some are police calls, and some I believe to be troop 4 HP. Showing 6 different frequencies in the 771 to 772 range, and using 4 different TGID's, 45106 , 42001 , 50232 , and 45102. All in the clear, not encrypted. I'm in southern Kershaw County so my signal is weak. 42001 are police calls ( disturbances, assault, excessive noise, etc, but don't know if "headquarters" is a reference to Lancaster City PD or Lancaster Sheriffs Dept. .... Have now identified 50232 as being Chester, District 4 HP .... 45101 is EMS Dispatch .

42001-42499 is the range assigned to Chester County, with 42001 being Chester SD Dispatch. Listed in the RR db.

garys

Premium Subscriber
HIPAA does not apply to emergency communications. There are specific exemptions in the regulations that implement the law.

HIPAA does not apply to law enforcement agencies unless they provide paid medical services, such as a police operated EMS system. Even then, the law would only apply to the people who provided those services.

Agencies that use HIPAA as an excuse to encrypt radio transmissions are either misinformed or lying to the public.

sthreatt

42001-42499 is the range assigned to Chester County, with 42001 being Chester SD Dispatch. Listed in the RR db.

My bad .... I was doing a wildcard scan of what I thought was the Lancaster tower. Was hearing Chester SD . Is Chester sharing the Lancaster tower ? I only had frequencies keyed in for Lancaster tower. Chesters frequencies are listed in 800 mhz range. Lancasters are 700 mhz.

Last edited:
W

W4ZMJ

So fire ems and sheriff dept. Pd dispatch be in the clear?

Status
Not open for further replies.