New member here

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmccarter

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to say hi to you guys in SC. I am just getting back into scanners again after 30 years. Boy have things changed in that time. I am located just outside of Irmo. Am presently torn between the bcd436 and the trx-1...having to do way to much research. I understand that the forums are pretty much personal pref as to the type scanner people use. I am hoping to get something that may last a few years. I will be monitoring mostly Lexington and Richland counties, PD, Fire, some EMS, SCHP 90% from my desktop but like the capability to take my scanner in the car if I do a roadtrip. Would appreciate any hint or kinks any has. Been doing lots of reading lately both here and on a few other sites.

Chester
WA4BFE

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Welcome Chester, a big hello from NJ. Things have changed a lot in 30 years no doubt. The Internet and digital radio are some of the big changes over the past three decades affecting radio comms. Hope you find the rig you are looking for. You came to the right place to stay current.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Chester - I don't have either of the radios you mention, but I think either will accomplish what you are interested in. I'd say there's a good mix between Uniden and Whistler users from SC that post to these forums. Someone might offer you a pre-made configuration file, which is always helpful in getting started. Both of these radios will allow you to configure them based on a database library of RadioReference data, which is a big advantage. Good luck on your decision.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
One more note - I assume you're in Lexington County. Keep in mind that Lexington Co SD radio traffic is encrypted and cannot be monitored. Lots of other LE traffic to be heard.

cmccarter

Premium Subscriber
Yep, I know about the Sheriff, he's a bit stubborn about that for some reason. But like you said, there is plenty out there to listen to. The 2 scanners I am looking at are pretty close in price if I get the DMR mod for the uniden. as far as capabilities they are also close...just a toss up and finding one on sale or used somewhere. Looking forward to talking with the members here also.

N9RMA

If you are maybe going to buy the X36 from Uniden you can down load the sentinel software [it is free] and write all your programs before the radio arrives...Lotsa fun to play with but a steep learning curve... GL de Bob N9RMA

Status
Not open for further replies.