Palmetto Net Newport Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4gps

Does anyone else live in range of the Palmetto Newport Site in York County ? I can't for the life of me pick it up and I just live down the road. I thought it was a problem with my programming but I can actually pick up the Union and Chester site although it's a bit weak. I am downloading the information right from the RR site also so it's not a fat finger issue. A week or two ago I was hearing NO audio just dead carrier but I am hearing data now.

Bottom line is I want to make sure someone else is picking up activity from this site before I keep going crazy trying to figure out the problem.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone else live in range of the Palmetto Newport Site in York County ? I can't for the life of me pick it up and I just live down the road. I thought it was a problem with my programming but I can actually pick up the Union and Chester site although it's a bit weak. I am downloading the information right from the RR site also so it's not a fat finger issue. A week or two ago I was hearing NO audio just dead carrier but I am hearing data now.

Bottom line is I want to make sure someone else is picking up activity from this site before I keep going crazy trying to figure out the problem.

Yes, I have been picking it up all week. It's a bit week where I am but I'm getting signal. How far are you from it and in what direction from the tower?

k4gps

I am in York the site is not all that far away, I would guess 8 air miles? I will load it back up, a few weeks ago I actually listened in on the CC and it was dead air no data. I have been listening to the Union site but it’s weak here on an outdoor antenna.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
You’re monitoring 860.7875 correct? What model scanner and what type of antenna?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k4gps

Yes .7875 I took another listen and I hear the data again. It was not that I could not pick up a signal but it was dead air, no audio when I last tried. When I was on the web page again the various pages were all messed up it seems due to maintanence and I could not download the data for Newport to try again. I just listed heard that data was back on and programmed the scanner.

I must just be in a weak spot, it's a Pro-106 /PSR500 does pretty well and I can monitor with my R8500 but I am/was using a Yagi. Since the antenna was pointed at Union I got to go out there and realign it to Newport now that it's working again. At the end of my street the strength is quite strong on a rubber duck, get to my home and it's quite weak. Go inside the house and I am down to one bar and sometimes audio sounds garbled. For home use I am stuck using an outdoor antenna. :-(

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
Yeah that seems to be how that site is. You can also check 851.5625 since that’s the alternate CC. But even up on Tega Cay area indoors it’s hard to get a good signal.

If you’re location in here is correct and you’re actually in Sharon then you’re even further away. I’m not sure how high you can put an antenna where you live but I’d go high.

I will add if you want to hear the SCHP York County troop you can hear them on talkgroup 50001 on the York County system.

k4gps

Yes correct more towards Sharon outside of York city limits but I am still in York. Yes I have that 5100 in there thanks.
Everything out here is weak... cellular, trunking, heck we don't even have DSL or cable!, kind of sucks being high tech in BFE.
Char/Meck won't come in even with a Yagi and I am not going to the trouble to clear the trees which are close to 80ft all around the house, not worth it. It would be cheaper for me to buy a Ethernet enabled scanner and connecting it to a cellular hot spot and placing it at one of my many tower sites closer to the state line and just remotely controlling it and monitoring it. I got one spot up at 1800ft :D but it would probably be overloaded by Duke Energy and York County.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
I have a remote station at a bar up in plaza-midwood I do some tech for at times. It’s served me well for following Charlotte and discovering the NXDN/DMR and other stuff that’s up town and not in the database.

If I had the money and resources I’d love to have a remote station on a tower but that’s a bit out of my league lol.

k4gps

OK talk about screwing me up... LOL I am hearing SCHP-York clear as day and I am thinking... eh... Rich your not listening to PNET. I look and the TG is showing 50001 then I stop it and see the frequencies and it looks vaguely familar... Well I had DL ALL York Co TG's and it seems YC has a patch to the PNET system for 50001 on to the YC system! LMAO

What are you using for your remote gear and does it work well. I can't do a fancy PC or anything but it would need to be simple, like a radio with an Ethernet or WiFi connection. How is the bandwith usage ? I hear Uniden has one but I have heard poor things about their software/app that works directly with it.

I will send you a PM.

k4gps

OK I am almost sure the problem is not on my end now. Last night I was listening to the Newport site just fine, LATE last night it disappeared. Tried again this morning since I am off and no luck, VERY weak signal but I don't trust S-meters very well on these scanners. I tuned in same antenna on my Icom R8500 and it's VERY weak. Sadly I guess I'll just stick to listening to SCHP only on the YC Simulcast TG.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
Yeah that sounds like what I’ve seen too. The CC will sometimes be strong but even then the voice channel signal strength is lower so it will show there’s a call but the voice channel is terrible. I wouldn’t be surprised if the signal is “tuned” to be more directional to the east where all the interstate is.

k4gps

Well they patrol Hwy 5 in York/Smyrna to the state line quite a bit. If it's the site I think it is these are not directional panels either, it's not too far away from one of my other sites. If anything it's probably more like a quirky radio. I am picking it up very faintly on the R8500 using a 11el yagi now but not at all on the Pro-106. Company gave us today as a holiday for the first time.. must be becoming more popular so I spent it scanning VHF/UHF/900 POSAG LOL. I will probably be closer to the Newport site if not right there tomorrow so I'll check it out from the truck.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
If you think the site is at Hands Mill Hwy and Mt Gallant Rd across the street from Riverwalk Academy then you’d be right lol. I believe that site also carries York County and a FleetTalk NXDN site.

k4gps

Yea that's it... I am only an air mile or two away.

Totally clueless on FleetTalk NXDN I guess DSD+ can do it. Still toying with the idea of a new desktop but $500 right after the holidays is a big chunk of change to whip out. Doubt there would be much of anything worthwhile on FleetTalk.

Both the Whistler and Uniden are pretty much the same price. Got to do some more reading on both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.