Greer & Greenville SC Radio Gone Encrypted???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawgit

Premium Subscriber
I have a ham radio in my car that can tune to listen only in the vhf and uhf freqs. I had Greer and Greenville PD and Fire loaded but I can’t hear it anymore. I think it stopped around the first of 2018. Did they go to encrypted or trunking? I can’t seem to find out about it anywhere.
TNX

SCPD

QRT
Looking in the DB, many in that area use that Palmetto p25 system. It's possible they migrated and nobody has submitted the talkgroups information. While I didn't check that system it's possible.

If your not hearing any transmissions on your analog radio in csq, such as digital motorboating or emissions they could have new conventional frequencies, would have to check the fcc database or they could have migrated to a regional p25 trunking system. Seems most there use the Palmetto p25 system.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2335

Will001

Premium Subscriber
I think the Greenville SD south dispatch on 460.500 is no longer used. I was up there a few weeks ago, and heard nothing on that channel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCLJ864

Palmetto 800

Greer PD has gone to the palmetto system and Greer FD will follow in a few weeks. I don’t know the talk group info... would love some help with this! Thanks

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I have a ham radio in my car that can tune to listen only in the vhf and uhf freqs. I had Greer and Greenville PD and Fire loaded but I can’t hear it anymore. I think it stopped around the first of 2018. Did they go to encrypted or trunking? I can’t seem to find out about it anywhere.
TNX

He's asking about a number of different agencies in this post. I'll provide what I think is current information. But I don't regularly listen to Greenville County public safety agencies, so my information could be inaccurate.

- Greer PD had been on UHF, but according to others they have now moved to Palmetto 800. Before the holidays, they were performing a lot of range testing on talkgroup 44381. They may be using that talkgroup or another talkgroup "near" that one in the 44000-44499 range. I don't hear it via the Spartanburg Simulcast site, so it's probably only carried on the Greenville Simulcast site. A wildcard search/ID Search should turn the up pretty quickly.

- Greer FD has been on VHF for a long time, and I heard them on VHF recently. Others have said they intend to move to Palmetto 800 soon, which is likely considering Greenville County taxpayers are funding a recent tax increase for interoperable fire department communications, presumably using Palmetto 800. Again, a wildcard/ID search while monitoring the Greenville simulcast site should turn them up once they move to 800 full time.

- Greenville PD has been on Palmetto 800 for quite a few years now. Talkgroups are listed in the database. They're heard on the Greenville Simulcast site.

- Greenville FD has also been on Palmetto 800 for many years, and those talkgroups are also listed in the database. They had previously used 453.900MHz/127.3 PL as an alert channel. Again, since I don't regularly monitor Greenville I can't say for sure it's still in use.

Hope that helps.

Please submit any changes you find - new talkgroups in use, old frequencies no longer in use - via the submission links at this site so that we can keep the database as accurate as possible.

lite_c

Greenville County municipalities are all on the Palmetto P25 system. As for Greer, they were using their UHF system as of a week ago. They also have access to the Police Dispatch channels for Spartanburg County on the Palmetto P25 system (the channels shared by the hundreds units, Duncan/Cowpens/Pacolet/Campobello/USCUpstate/Lyman/Inman/Greer). I don't know which identifier/unit series they use, though.

Last edited:
W

W4ZMJ

Looks like according to the database Greenville County Sheriff's Department is showing Tac channels that are encrypted but no dispatch channels?

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Greenville County municipalities are all on the Palmetto P25 system. As for Greer, they were using their UHF system as of a week ago. They also have access to the Police Dispatch channels for Spartanburg County on the Palmetto P25 system (the channels shared by the hundreds units, Duncan/Cowpens/Pacolet/Campobello/USCUpstate/Lyman/Inman/Greer). I don't know which identifier/unit series they use, though.

I don't think this is entirely true. Mauldin PD is definitely on UHF. I believe Fountain Inn PD is as well. Simpsonville, TR and now apparently Greer are on Palmetto 800.

I would imagine that Greer PD has access to the Spartanburg County talkgroups in their radios now that they're all on the same radio platform. That would make good sense for interoperability. But Greer maintains its own PSAP and dispatch center, as far as I know. They aren't dispatched by either Spartanburg County or Greenville County. So it's logical that they would have their own talkgroup(s)s.

Looks like according to the database Greenville County Sheriff's Department is showing Tac channels that are encrypted but no dispatch channels?

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

If you look at the Greenville County Database page, under the Greenville County Sheriff frequency subgroup, you'll see a note in the link to Palmetto P25 that while the Sheriff's office uses some talkgroups on Palmetto P25 for tac use, primary Patrol dispatch and other radio uses are still on conventional UHF channels. Hence why no dispatch talkgroups are listed for Greenville Co SO on the Palmetto P25 page.

TigerScan2000

Premium Subscriber
Greenville SC

Not sure about Greer. I have not been up that way in awhile.

However, I can verify hearing the following over the last couple of weeks, including today.

I've have traveled hwy 25 and received these signals / channels from as far down as Princton.

460.12500 GCSD 1 Traff Greenville Co. SD Traffic/Warrants
460.50000 GCSD 2 South Greenville Co. SD South Dispatch
460.52500 GCSD 3 North Greenville Co. SD North Dispatch
460.55000 GCSD 4 C2C Greenville Co. SD Car to Car
460.25000 Regional LE Regional Law Enforcement Channel

I have also received the Greenville (P25) groups as well as the DMR Mode systesm (GHS Sercurity)

I have picked up all this Using a Uniden BCD 436HP with the RS 800mhz rubber duckie.

wmac75

Premium Subscriber
can some one give step by step to seach for talk groups on p25 system for uniden 436 any help would be great thank ?

TigerScan2000

Premium Subscriber
HP436....P25 Systems

Others on here are way more experienced that myself, However, here is the basics for findinng what you want.

I am going to assume you are using the BCDx36HP Sentinel Software and cable that cam with the scanner.

First. using the Sentinel software, update the Master HPDB file. This will update the Sentinel file with all the current Groups in RadioReference.

Next you need to upload the new file to your 436 scanner. (out of the box, the scanner will not have all the new P25 Groups) This will not only take care of the P25 groups but any other groups or systems since your scanner purchase or last update.

Once you have updated the scanner with the latest database. then it's just a matter of putting in your zip code and letting the scanner set your location. Sit back, let it scan, when P25 pops up, hit the system button. this will hold on the P25 system and let you listen to the talk groups.

This is a very basic way to listed to the system or group you want to monitor. Learning to use the sentinel software to set favorites allows you to monitor only the groups or system you want to monitor.

I have Attached a pic of how I have mine set up.

Attachments

• HP436.jpg
    HP436.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 515

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I monitored the Greenville Palmetto 800 site today. I heard traffic on 44381 that I'm confident is Greer PD based on the referenced locations. As far as I can tell, that talkgroup is only active on the Greenville site, and not on the Spartanburg site.

mlindler

Premium Subscriber
Mauldin PD and FD are are Analog UHF (for now).
Simpsonville FD is DMR
Simpsonville PD is P25
Fountain Inn FD is DMR
Fountain Inn PD is DMR
TR is P25

Status
Not open for further replies.