DMR & NXDN in SC

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I think it's worth starting a thread to discuss the use of DMR and NXDN digital radio systems in SC.

These systems are becoming more and more common in the business bands, and several public safety agencies are also using them. Expect their prevalence to continue to rise. There are few high end scanner models that receive DMR, and two (Whistler TRX-1 and 2) that receive NXDN. You can also listen to these signals using commonly available and low cost RTL SDR dongles connected to a PC and using free software (DSDPlus, specifically). There are many forums on this site discussing hardware and software to accomplish this.

There are several wide area networked DMR and NXDN systems operating in SC today. Fleettalk (operated by Rock Communication, among others) operates a NXDN network in SC and NC. Charleston Wireless (among others) operates a DMR Connect+ network any many urban areas of the state. Capital City Connect+ operates in the Midlands region. And I believe SCAN has deployed a Tier 3 DMR network in areas that SCE&G operates.

Numerous other smaller systems are operating. Single channel DMR NXDN systems ("conventional") are very common and can probably be heard in almost every location in the state. Capacity Plus DMR systems are not uncommon as well.

In the Upstate, Communication Service Center operates a site of the Charleston Wireless Connect+ system in Greenville. They also operate Capacity+ systems on 800MHz and UHF. Several fire departments in Greenville currently use single channel DMR repeaters. Greenville Hospital operates a VHF networked DMR system. Greenville schools and Greater Greenville Sanitation operate Capacity plus systems. SC School for the Deaf and Blind operate a Capacity+ system. BMW Manufacturing operates a Connect+ system at their plant in Greer. Michelin operates a low-power NXDN system in Spartanburg There are many others.

Here's my question for any others monitoring DMR systems in the Upstate: I'm hearing a single channel DMR repeater on 451.800 Color Code 9. It has a voice ID of what sounds like "LPTR Repeater System Hopkins St". I'm near the border with NC, so it could possibly be coming from that state, but it has a pretty strong signal in my area so if it's in SC, it's near the border.

I can't find an FCC license that seems to match with this channel. Does anyone have any ideas what that might be?

rescuecomm

What are you using to monitor DMR? DSD or one of the inexpensive handheld radios? I might purchase a TYT MD-2017 in the immediate future to use on the SCHearts system and maybe listen to a few of the other stuff. I am in the Greenville upstate area.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I use a combination of radios. I do use several RTL SDR dongles with FMP24/DSDPlus Fastlane. I also use a WS-1080 which has DMR capability. And I have a UHF Tytera MD-380 that's running stock firmware.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Unless anyone has any reservations I am gonna sticky this for awhile to hopefully facilitate DMR/NXDN discussion in my home state of SC. :)

Marshall KE4ZNR

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
Here's my question for any others monitoring DMR systems in the Upstate: I'm hearing a single channel DMR repeater on 451.800 Color Code 9. It has a voice ID of what sounds like "LPTR Repeater System Hopkins St". I'm near the border with NC, so it could possibly be coming from that state, but it has a pretty strong signal in my area so if it's in SC, it's near the border.

I can't find an FCC license that seems to match with this channel. Does anyone have any ideas what that might be?

THANK YOU! I have been trying to figure out what this is too. In York county it's coming across 461.3500 DMR CC 9/TG 230/SL 1 and 152.4275 156DPL. Same voice ID and everything. Those do have licenses though. UHF is WPPG999 and VHF is WQNC968.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
THANK YOU! I have been trying to figure out what this is too. In York county it's coming across 461.3500 DMR CC 9/TG 230/SL 1 and 152.4275 156DPL. Same voice ID and everything. Those do have licenses though. UHF is WPPG999 and VHF is WQNC968.

That same system is here in Columbia on 153.230 (I think) and every 15 or so minutes an automated voice will say what Brian put in his post (LRPT repeater system Hopkins etc) and give the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
The repeaters IDing that you're referencing to is a private repeater system. The owner has his own business as well but puts up the repeaters for private use among authorized users. That's all I can say about them since I don't know much more.

wmac75

What is the difference between DMR and NXDN digital radio systems in SC? Which does police and fire departments use? only going to upgrade one in uniden 436 thanks

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
What is the difference between DMR and NXDN digital radio systems in SC? Which does police and fire departments use? only going to upgrade one in uniden 436 thanks

They’re totally different digital modes. What your local police use may not be either. Have you looked up your location in the database here to see if it’s already listed?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
For public safety in SC, by now it's about equal usage of P25 (via Palmetto 800, mostly) and traditional analog conventional.

There's not (yet) a LOT of other digital usage. Most of it now is DMR, though. There is some NXDN public safety use - the ones I can think of off the top of my head are Fairfield Co and Newberry Co. I'm sure there is more of both DMR and NXDN in use now, and more use of both coming in the future as the use of traditional analog continues to wane.

If I had to choose between NXDN and DMR, I'd choose DMR. Much more DMR in use other than public safety.

wmac75

Thank both of you for the help think I’ll upgrade Dmr and see if I can figure it this out Wayne

garys

Premium Subscriber
There's a multi site NXDN system based out of Charlotted, but with a couple of sites in SC. It's in the database as North Carolina Fleet Talk NXDN.

There's also a NXDN South Carolina Fleet Talk with multiple sites. Mostly single frequency (composite channel) trunking.

There's also a large, multi site DMR system with sites in both states, Charleston Wireless Group/James White .

I'd not expect any public safety traffic, but the DMR system has a private ambulance service on it.

I'd also expect to see significant growth in DMR and NXDN as older systems are replaced.

wmac75

Got DMR Upgrade Done Programed from Database working ok but get Hung on some Channels the color 1 blinks and s1 blink on Screen all I can do is avoid them ?

shajoe44

Clemson area search

I ran a search over last 24 hours in the Clemson area and recorded the following information (see attached file) As I told Brian I am not sure how much of this is new or how much has already been discovered.

Attachments

• Clemson DMR NXDN Search.doc
    57.5 KB · Views: 144

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
Got DMR Upgrade Done Programed from Database working ok but get Hung on some Channels the color 1 blinks and s1 blink on Screen all I can do is avoid them ?

Most likely its data calls like GPS and ARS on that frequency. But could also vary we’ll have voice too. I typically make a note and run DSDPus on it for a day or so and see if I catch any voice. Of course you can do that with the scanner to with record on and see what you get. But for simple scanning you can just avoid.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
I ran a search over last 24 hours in the Clemson area and recorded the following information (see attached file) As I told Brian I am not sure how much of this is new or how much has already been discovered.

That’s good info. I’ll run some searches on it and see if anything hits. As I’m sure others will too.

troymail

Silent Key

I'm assuming conventional frequencies (or so they appear in the RRDB).... you may want to replace that entry with a "DMR One Frequency" system for that same frequency....

wmac75

Yep that’s what ended up doing for 436 thank for reply but just got ws1088 yesterday used ezscan but just hanged up on all the dmr channel. Wayne

TigerScan2000

Premium Subscriber
Upstate SC Area DMR

I have upgraded my Uniden for DMR with decent results. However, I have been confused on one issue.

For the most part, my scanner will "stop" on a DMR frequency and I can hear the channel / freq just fiine.

Example: Michelin NA Talk Group.

However, my scanner will somtimes "stop" on a Channel / Freq, Display all the informaion, but I am not hearing anything.

Example: Pharmaceutical Associates Talk Group.

Any advice as to what may be causes the scanner to "hit" but not receive.

DMR Groups I regularly receive with no Problem

GHS Hospital System
Greater Greenville Sanitation

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 381

troymail

Silent Key
Could be either data or a control channel/REST marker.

You might look for the "type" of DMR that is being display (lower right corner) - "DMR", "CON", "CAP", etc.

If it is displaying "DMR", I believe you'll want to program it as a DMROneFrequency.

If it is displaying "CON" or "CAP", you should program it as a MotoTrbo trunk system but you'll need all of the system/site frequencies (and then run the LCN finder too).