Lexington area

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimSc

What is best scanner now for the Lexington area, thinking about getting the Trx-1

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Coke or Pepsi? Chevy or Ford? What I think is the best is going to be different from others.

The TRX-1 is a solid choice. It's the "flagship" scanner for one of the two primary scanner manufacturers (Whistler and Uniden). It has some features that other radios don't - most obviously, support for NXDN systems.

Any digital trunk-tracking scanner will work for the Lexington area, and there is no P25 Phase II systems on the air in the area that I'm aware of. The TRX-1 is one of several options that will work.

I would recommend downloading and installing software for each radio you are considering and see which you like best. With any digital trunk-tracking scanner, computer programming is, not required, but pretty important for getting the most out of the radio. Being comfortable and satisfied with the software might help you make a good decision.

TimSc

Got a TRX-1 on they way. Is there a good way of programming it manually and Lexington area is under Lexington simulcast. Do you have to put the control frequencies in for it still

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
You can use the Location-based programming, where you input a zip code and it adds objects based on that location. You get a lot of objects added with this method that you probably don't want, and you'll likely want to rearrange objects that it adds.

Before you do that, you'll want to update the database included on the SD card. You'll need a computer to do this and the Whistler programming application.

Before long, you'll realize that it's worth taking the time to learn how to program it and create custom configurations for your particular listening interests.

Most Lexington County public safety radio traffic is on the Palmetto P25 system. It's all carried on the Lexington Co Simulcast site, so be sure that site is programmed. The radio only needs to control channel frequencies, not all of the site frequencies.

Depending on your location, you can probably monitor several sites, including those that carry Richland County and Columbia, Aiken Co and possibly Orangeburg Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.