Horry county

Status
Not open for further replies.

cappy400

I will be vacationing in the north myrtle beach area in a week, what can i expect to hear while monitoring the radio system? Is fire/ rescue and police encrypted? Partially encrypted? Thank you in advance for any help. I have the uniden 436. Will be programming it here in a few days.

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
There's only one encrypted TGID for the entire county system that I know of and not in regular use. Everything else is in the clear. The county fire main dispatching is via alphanumeric pager, but they repeat an abbreviated dispatch over the TAC TGIDs (TAC1 for the north county). North Myrtle still dispatches via TGID, VHF for QCII, and also uses the alphanumeric paging.
Your biggest problem will be poor reception due to simulcast issues. If you have an assortment of antennas, I would suggest bringing them...and a paper clip too!

RF-Burns

Your biggest problem will be poor reception due to simulcast issues. If you have an assortment of antennas, I would suggest bringing them...and a paper clip too!

Sounds like you need to do some research on Non Affiliated Scan with a Motorola or Harris Radio

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you need to do some research on Non Affiliated Scan with a Motorola or Harris Radio

The much less expensive working solution is a Unication G4/G5 pager. I have two G5s (house and vehicle) and couldn't be more pleased with the reception. While they're missing a few "scanner" features (delay, TGID hold) , those familiar with the product have figured out the work-arounds through creative programming.

~$565 v. ~$3000 for Phase II equipped units is an easy decision for me!

But the OP is dealing with a Uniden HP436...hence the warning about reception issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.