Weather radio question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA4PQA

I have a midland weather radio alert and a pro 2023 desktop scanner both connected to the same antenna and cannot seem to get a 'chop' out of the reception without the scanner on manual..The weather radio is receiving the broadcast just fine but i just cannot get the chop out,Help.The chop only gets louder at times when the reception fades from signal loss.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
I have a midland weather radio alert and a pro 2023 desktop scanner both connected to the same antenna and cannot seem to get a 'chop' out of the reception without the scanner on manual..The weather radio is receiving the broadcast just fine but i just cannot get the chop out,Help.The chop only gets louder at times when the reception fades from signal loss.

Are you getting the chop out of the scanner? If so, you may have the priority function switched on allowing the scanner to revert to the priority channel programmed in or, usually, channel 1 in the first bank. Mine does this when I have the priority switched on in my Pro 2052. It will revert about very two to four seconds and will cause a chop or a swish sound.
If its not on priority, try moving your frequencies to a different bank and lock the suspect ones out - if the chop is indeed on the scanner. A simple on/off test of either radio will possibly indicate the errant radio. Good luck.

ecps92

Both radios with Chop or just the WX radio ?

Maybe the Scanner is causing an image to clip/chop the WX Radio, since you indicate putting the scanner in manual eliminates it.

Find out what Freq the scanner is causing the chop on the WX Radio. Manually step thru each of your scanner channels

jim202

My guess is that the IF of both radios are talking to each other. If your using a common antenna, it might even be carried by the coax cable from one radio to the next. The use of an in line RF amp with multiple isolated outputs should help eliminate the problem.

Your other choice is to move the radios further apart and use different antennas that are not near each other.

An example of this problem is years ago I was involved in tracking down an interference problem with a police radio system. It turned out to be a new scanner this individual had recently purchased. When ever it heard the public works channel in town, it would put out a birdie signal on the input to the police repeater that was located about a half mile away. On weak signals, it caused a good interfering signal that caused it hard to understand what was being said on the police repeater.

It took about a day to track it down. Located the area to about 3 homes. The police started knocking on doors asking id anyone had just installed a scanner. On the second house, they had the answer they were looking for. They asked the owner if they could shut off the scanner. A fast test indicated that that problem went away. They suggested that the scanner be taken back to the place of purchase. But the problem was resolved.

So just an example of what can happen when signals leak out of a receiver.

Good luck on resolving your problem.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
The original poster to this thread indicated that he (or she) lives in the Greenwood area.

As long as the Midland weather radio was not damaged, it should be able to receive the NWS signal from the Kirksey / Greenwood County transmitter just fine, using the stock collapsible antenna that came with the weather radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.