How to pick up Dorchester County from Ravenel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChasJoe

Does anyone know what frequencies to put it to listen to the Dorchester County Sheriff's Office, EMS, and their Fire Rescue agencies? I'm off of Highway 17 in Ravenel and put in a bunch of frequencies but I'm not sure if I put too many in and it messed them up or what. I'm only a few miles away from the Dorchester/Charleston county line so I don't think I'm too far out for them to be out of range. I can pick up Berkeley County and Goose Creek just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Most if not all of the agencies you mention operate on the Palmetto 800 digital trunked radio system. It's the same system that Charleston County and SCHP operate on.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5042

Do you have a scanner capable of receiving this system?

If so, the question comes down to which transmission sites are you able to receive from your location? Not all agencies' transmissions are carried on every site. So you have to do some testing and listening to see which sites regularly carry the agencies' transmissions you want to hear.

On the page I linked to above, look at the table called "System Frequencies". Sites 1-10, 1-11 and 1-12 only carry Charleston County agencies' transmissions so you won't hear Dorchester County agencies on those. At Ravenel, you're closest to Site 1-59. I don't know if Dorchester County agencies' transmissions are regularly carried on that site are not. Site 1-18 would most certainly carry the transmissions you're interested in, and site 1-9 might also.

I believe that Dorchester County FD still uses a couple of VHF analog conventional frequencies for tone-out/dispatch, but I'm not sure how much of their operations radio traffic are carried on those frequencies anymore. Nor am I sure if EMS is toned out on either of those frequencies. You won't hear any Dorchester Co Sheriff on conventional frequencies.

Hope that helps.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.