Best scanner for P25 Simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
My apologies in advance if this question has been answered in another thread. I searched and didn't really find what I was looking for. Also, I apologize if this isn't in the correct forum.

I am interested in monitoring two new-ish P25 (9600-baud CC) trunked systems in SC:
York Co.: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4855
and Charleston Co: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5042

Both are simulcast systems with multiple towers throughout each county. My PRO-96 offers dismal audio decoding performance on the voice channels. I've tried DPS F/W vs. 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 with 1.2 generally being the best performer. I have tried different antennas to no avail. I don't suspect it's a signal quality issue. Other scannists have reported similar experiences with their PRO-(20)96s on these same systems.

My 96 decodes digital audio on the statewide system very well, which is a Smartzone mixed mode system (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=429). So I am pretty well convinced that its an issue with these newer P25 simulcast systems.

My question is, what current digital scanner offers the best performance for decoding the audio on these systems? I'm leaning toward the PSRs (500 or 600) and I'd like to hear from folks who can offer side-by-side comparisons of these units to the Unidens or the PROs monitoring similar P25 simulcast systems. I'm not interested in comparisons of other features - I'm only concerned with the success of digital audio decoding on these systems.

evan

Database Admin
wayne_h said:
Moved to the SC forum so the locals can comment on what works best for the local systems.
Locals commented here: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95894

I think everyone in SC that can comment on the issue has. I think he may be looking for other people around the country that have experience with other P25 simulcast systems that could offer some additional advice?

bonus1331

I have a 396 and HAD a GRE PSR-500. Neither one is stellar with the York County TRS. Have a real tough time getting clear reception with the TRS. However, I would rate the 396 as a 7 for overall reception and the GRE a 3 in regrards to monitoring this TRS.

crony803

I have tried both a PRO-96 and BCD996T. The PRO-96 was absolutely horrible. The BCD996T, however, works fairly well. The only real problem I have is that it sometimes misses complete transmissions. It catches the vast majority, and the audio quality is good, but it simply does not recognize that a talkgroup is active on occasion.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Has very little to do with the scanner. PSR500 best, followed closely by Pro96, then the BCD line.

Has MUCH more to do with the antenna. Point a directional one at your closest tower and you should be good.

Need a v1.5 RS firmware update!

I still believe it to be a Radio Shack decoding issue on the simlucast/multicast issue. I've got a 6-element beam aimed at the tower most isolated from the other dozen, and it still won't decode at an acceptable level.
Has anyone contacted Radio Shack about getting us a new firmware update when using the PRO-96 in an APCO25 multicast/simulcast digital system?

ngawx

my 96 was torrid on the Cobb County Georgia simulcast system it was very garbled and broken up. Now i have the PSR-500 and it works great! I have the RS 800 antenna, that makes i big diffrence also

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
johnnyelectron said:
Has anyone contacted Radio Shack about getting us a new firmware update when using the PRO-96 in an APCO25 multicast/simulcast digital system?

They did - V1.4 was a notable improvement developed SPECIFICALLY for CQPSK systems. I'd try a different location and/or antenna, or the PSR500.

Status
Not open for further replies.