Rapic City PD change freq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hutch605

Just moved back to RC from back east and had RCPD dispatch freq. (453.9) loaded in my scanner. I've been listening to them for a month or so, but as of a couple of weeks ago that frequency is dead. Nothing. Anybody know if they changed, or went all digital? Thanks.

hutch605

Of course, they would! Just when I moved back. Guess I need to upgrade to a digital scanner now. Where would I find the new frequencies for the agencies who switched over?

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Of course, they would! Just when I moved back. Guess I need to upgrade to a digital scanner now. Where would I find the new frequencies for the agencies who switched over?

Just bored tonight and happened upon your post. Based on the other reply of "the states digital system" you would find it here South Dakota State Radio System Trunking System, Statewide, South Dakota - Scanner Frequencies. Personal recommendation for a digital scanner is the GRE PSR-500/600 or their Radio Shack twins the Pro-106/197. If you need help understanding programming the system I can give you some basic pointers (with the exception of knowing where you are and what you can receive since I am no where near you.) I know digital and trunking can be confusing if you have never dealt with it before. PM me if you want some basic understanding of them.

bbtkd

Feed Provider
Just moved back to RC from back east and had RCPD dispatch freq. (453.9) loaded in my scanner. I've been listening to them for a month or so, but as of a couple of weeks ago that frequency is dead. Nothing. Anybody know if they changed, or went all digital? Thanks.

They were probably simulcasting for a while and finally turned it off. I see that nobody is feeding the Rapid City area to Radioreference, perhaps that's your destiny, since you'll need to buy a digital scanner. I recommend a Uniden BCD396T. If you are patient, you can get one used on Ebay for around $300.

Last edited:

hutch605

bbtkd,
You may be right. Looks like digital IS my destiny. I noticed last night Pennington Co Sheriff (?) was dispatching on 155.55 over my analog Pro-95. After a couple of hours the deputy mentioned "going over to digital." So that agency is evidently still using both....for now.

orgchemus

Digital and Analog

The digital system had issues the last few days so they had to use the old analog frequencies. The portables were not working well with the system, so they used the old analog frequencies starting last Friday evening and ending yesterday.

I have a digital scanner and its very active, the only analog channels I get are Zone East, Zone West, Zone Rapid, and a Meade county sheriff repeater.

I hope this helps.

hutch605

Shawn,
I'm on the west side of Rapid, just off Catron. I'm glad to hear digital is active. I'd hate to waste $400 or $500 on a new scanner.

orgchemus

This is very true and I held off until I knew for certain it worked. I joined several SD Yahoo scanner pages and they have been a great help when dealing with the digital transition.

I am a college student so the money was hard to come by but well worth it.

hutch605

Shawn,
You talking about Yahoo Groups? If so, I haven't been on that forum in years. Which ones do I look for (relating to SD scanning)?

orgchemus

Hey Hutch605-

I am referring to Yahoo Groups, and I am a member of the following:

black_hills_scanners
ScanSD
puzzles880a

The most active is puzzles880a where the members are trying to ID all state radios and talkgroups. I enjoy the group and have a lot of fun! Member (bm57702) is very knowledgeable about the Rapid City and surrounding areas, and has been a lifesaver during my digital transition.

I hope this helps!

Shawn

buckskin41

Premium Subscriber

yes RCPD changed to digital at the end of the year. i had an analog scanner for years. i just bought a pro-96 digital scanner, but and having trouble programing the scanner, and are finding the right freqs to load in my scanner. i am also stuck

scnnr

buckskin41
Do you have the programming cable to program the Pro 96? If you do you can get a 30 day trial version of win 96 from here Win96 program

You can either make up your own using the web import feature or Join the ScanSD yahoo group and go into the files section there and download the file called January 2008 to try out. It won't have the new stuff added for Rapid City Police but you can add that your self when You find out that information.

I have the above file downloaded and can zip and add as an attachment for you but I don't know if that is proper etiquette to use a file that someone else made and posted in a Yahoo group.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.