PCT 4 Port Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonnieUSA

4 Port Cable TV/HDTV/Digital Amplifier Internet Modem Signal Booster Internet AMP
Amazon.com: 4 Port Cable TV/HDTV/Digital Amplifier Internet Modem Signal Booster Internet AMP: Electronics

I just received this Wednesday, what a world of difference it has made changing to this, my noise level has dropped by 50% or more, I was using a EDA 2100, with a 3 way splitter.
Now I'm in scanning heaven, and got to listen to the California Highway Patrol the same day
that it came in, and I had never heard anything outside of Kentucky before

So Yes I would recommend this to any one.

Attachments

• PCT.jpg
    PCT.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 749

mule1075

Feed Provider
I have had very good results with that amplifier. I don't use it anymore because I picked up a stridsberg 8 port multicoupler for a steal.Thanks for reminding me of the PCT gives me an idea for a weekend project.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I have had great results with mine as well. Good price for performance value... I have mine connected to my OCFD scanner antenna in the attic feeding two scanners in the house via the abandoned CATV coax cables in the house.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
New Amp

Glad that's working Ronnie!! Just a thought...maybe that EDA2100 was a little too hot for your scanners? Now that you lowered the amp by half value +15db down to +7db the scanners are happy and not front end overloaded? That's how I arrived at the EDA2800 with only +4dB per port. Not sure how you split the antenna feed? I figure ant/amp/splitter/scanner? Doesn't always work because the amped up noise is hitting the splitter, then sliced by however many scanners you have. These multi port drop amps are different in that way, they split the non-amped input signal and only amp up per port to make up for the loss from the split. (split 1 to 2 = -3db per port or half the signal value) As well they have port to port isolation which helps. I hope that makes sense?

CHP really?? What low band users in your area?

Last edited:

habsfan70

Premium Subscriber
If I were to use this device what type of cable connection to my scanner would you recommend? Would I experience noticable signal loss with a BNC to N adapter? Was going to go with the Stridsberg unit but this has me thinking.

habsfan70

Premium Subscriber
After thinking about it my real question is why type of connector connects to this device. Newbie here. Please don't destroy me. Thanks.

trp2525

If I were to use this device what type of cable connection to my scanner would you recommend?...

After thinking about it my real question is why type of connector connects to this device...

The device uses F connectors (standard cable/satellite TV connectors) for in/out so you would use F connectors on the ends of your coax. You would then use an F-to-BNC adapter at the end of the coax to connect to the BNC connector on your scanner (assuming your scanner has a BNC connector): http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/rfi-rfb-1155-5995.html

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
How old is that 4 port model? On there store site and I dont see it listed.

I do see some 8 port models on clearance for 17 bucks and see you guys have good luck with the 4 port model. The 8 ports are listed as passive return. I remember reading somewhere that passive return was not good.

I have 3 sdr dongles and 2 scanners. I am in an apartment so I only have 1 antenna.

Right now I am using a 1 port CATV amp (antronix ara1-15) and it seems ok. I have a splitter to feed 3 dongles and 1 scanner. I still get stuff from far away but I could do better without the splitter. I used the signal meter on sdrsharp and when I go straight to the computer, its 10bd higher than when its being split. All I want is 8 isolated ports with zero loss.
I also see that the dc input is about 15vdc. Would lowering the input reduce the amps gain if there was too much gain?

Was looking at EDA-UG2802 eight port but cant decide.

I am looking for any advice I cant get.

Thanks

bharvey2

Active return amps allow information to return back to the cable company. I don't know why using a passive return amp for a scanner application would pose a problem. Some of these amps are pretty powerful. You may want to make sure you have attenuation capabilities in place.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Active return amps allow information to return back to the cable company. I don't know why using a passive return amp for a scanner application would pose a problem. Some of these amps are pretty powerful. You may want to make sure you have attenuation capabilities in place.

Yep, a cable TV amp with an active return can actually send out unwanted RF when hooked to an antenna and cause interference to licensed users. In this case, anyone from 5 to 42 MHz could experience interference from an amp with an active return channel. So a passive return would actually be better for monitoring so you don't cause interference to anyone. Most cable TV amps use the same return frequencies for sending signals back to the head end so most active return models will produce unwanted RF at the antenna in the same frequency range.
You must remember that cable TV systems are closed systems so anything amplified should stay in the coax and not radiate out causing interference like can happen when hooked to an antenna which has now become a radiator of the active return frequencies. Luckily, most scanner antennas today are not very resonant at low band and lower frequencies so that minimizes the potential that you may be emitting illegal signals but the possibility still exists.
I'd be cautious using an amp with an active return.
In reality, an amp with active return is not going to help your low band reception anyway as it does not amplify anything coming in, only out.

The active return channel is not a very powerful signal but the potential for interference coming off your antenna still exists, especially with sensitive receivers like low band users would have.

If a user is into low band monitoring and really needs an amp, an preamp made for low band would be a better solution as they don't produce any RF back into the antenna.
It's also possible that a cable tv drop amp may seem to help low band reception by lowering any powerful low band signals hitting the scanner. Those signals could be causing unknown desense which the scanner cannot handle. Adding a drop amp actually lowers low band signals and can allow the AGC circuit to operate giving the owner the impression that the amp is pulling in weak signals not heard before.
Adding a cable drop amp with a passive return can help as it gives you port to port isolation plus it may allow the radio's AGC circuit to work properly by reducing any local low band signals that would otherwise drive the front end into desense.

Over the air drop amps do not have a return path as you are not needing to send a better signal back to a cable companies head end. But... those amps generally have a high noise factor which will usually kill any benefit for the scanner listener. In this case, a preamp made for the scanner bands of interest would be your better choice. Quality preamps for scanners usually have band filtering designed into them so you are not also amplifying unwanted out of band signals such as FM Broadcast radio which can also kill typical scanner reception from desense or overload.
Using a Cable TV drop amp with an active return could land you in hot water if it does wipe out a licensed users radio system!

Eugene

Also a question......aren't these CATV products (amps a. such) 75 ohms. How would that affect signal loss??

Eugene Hileman KG4AVE

Eugene

Forgot to clarify the above question. 75 ohms vs 50 ohm antenna output/scanner input. Sorry and thanks.

Eugene Hileman KG4AVE

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There will be some signal loss at the transition between the 75-ohm and 50-ohm sections. IIRC it is less than 1dB.

Eugene

Ah...was wondering what the loss would be.....not bad...esp as rg-6 or equivalent is fairly low loss. Thanks.

Eugene Hileman KG4AVE

Status
Not open for further replies.