Will I need a multicoupler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radioflow

I have been reading up on putting a single discone up for two or three RTL-SDR's, And have seen some people saying a multicoupler is basically required for someone to use multiple receivers on one antenna.
Others say it's not, Will the RTL dongles interfere with each other noticeably without one? Or will I be okay, to use a splitter for the time being?
Thanks.

lmrtek

a receiver multicoupler is basically a line amplifier and a splitter so using a TV splitter Will work for a temp solution

if you want a better solution, buy a channel master CM3414 distribution amp
it will give you 4 outputs and provide 54-1000mhz coverage with 8db gain per port

RFI-EMI-GUY

a receiver multicoupler is basically a line amplifier and a splitter so using a TV splitter Will work for a temp solution

if you want a better solution, buy a channel master CM3414 distribution amp
it will give you 4 outputs and provide 54-1000mhz coverage with 8db gain per port

You also get isolation between ports to reduce leakage from one receiver to another.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have been using CATV splitters for years with very good results. Fortunately, I have never been in a situation where I needed an amplifier, it's usually been the other way for me - too much signal. I put an FM trap before everything on my main feed lines, then divide it afterward. Two scanners on a Yagi, and four on a discone, all divided with 2 CATV splitters (one two and one four-port) with no noticeable loss and full quieting for the most part. My coax is under 50 ft runs. One of the four- way outputs I trade off to the TRX-1 sometimes, and I heard the Hamilton County TRS the other night, almost 40 miles away. Very satisfied with my setup using the CATV accessories.

I had an electronic engineer tell me one time that as long as the equipment is rated for the frequency range you desire, and there is isolation between ports and no reverse of signal, a $10 splitter is just as good as some of the 'high end' splitters sold by radio equipment retailers for $50-75. Just his opinion, mind you, but after years of satisfied service with these accessories I tend to agree.

I know this is an older thread, but I was searching for comments on a Channel Master CM3414 that I found in my junk box I didn't even knew that I had, and ran across this old discussion and had to throw in my 2 cents.

JD
kf4anc

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Electroline Splitters

Check into the Electroline splitters, EDA2800 or whatever fits your needs, they are TV Amp/Splitters but the amp is only to make up for the loss of the split. They won't overload your scanners. I've used the 8 port version for many years, nice port isolation (Scanners don't stop on the same freqs) and no problems at all with signals. I share 8 scanners to one antenna nicely. Here's a source ELECTROLINE EDA 2800 RF AMPLIFIER WITH POWER SUPPLY - 1 INPUT - 8 OUTPUTS | eBay Good luck!

scottyhetzel

I'm an electrical engineer...you don't want a splitter...you will lose 3.5 pd per port...yes it will work but you will lose a lot of signal...The best is an amplifier with no gain on each port...basically a passive amp. Electro line has 4 port output models....the single output models are 15db plus coming out...way to hot of a signal. Tilt compensator will tilt signal from the low end to the high end depending on model...look into blondertongue....

Ubbe

And don't forget when dealing with scanners and external antennas, always, always use a variable attenuator between scanner and coax to be able to evaluate the situation. I wish I had known that when I started with external antennas. It would had saved me from a lot of unnecessary work.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.