Baluns for yagi

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocoder

What are some better quality baluns to match yagi to coax? Places to purchase?
Thanks

73, john

vocoder

Yep
Forgot the details, didnt i, oops.

For rxing only, yes, vhf / uhf 25mhz-2ghz
300ohm to 75ohm
One prob with cheap balun is the leads keep breaking, i guess im going to really cable tie her down this round
Thanks for suggestions

73, john

Ubbe

I think 2GHz might be a bit too much for the ferrit material in a standard tv balun, and if you get one for 2GHz it probably would be very ineffective on 25MHz. What's up in the 2GHz range that you want to monitor? Remember that the antenna and coax and everything else needs to be able to handle those SHF frequencies.

/Ubbe

RFI-EMI-GUY

What are some better quality baluns to match yagi to coax? Places to purchase?
Thanks

73, john

Are you using a balun to eliminate feedline interaction with the Yagi? You might look at ARRL handbook for advice.

You are not going to find any Yagi design for 25 to 2 GHz. A log periodic would be the solution.

An important consideration is the impedance. If you are using an old TV antenna, yes a 300 ohm to 75 ohm will suffice, even if you are using a 50 ohm scanner. The reduced loss of RG6 cable makes it practical to use that arrangement.

I once designed a 900 MHz dipole antenna to perform field strength tests using an NIST design. For a balun, I used one bought from Minicircuits that had the appropriate impedance. It was tiny , but worked well.

vocoder

I was just topping frequency off with as high as i can get-lol
Actually probably gonna be more like 1300 mhz
Dreaming 2ghz but reality is 1khz
Matching twin connect at antenna to coax. 75ohm?

73, john

Ubbe

What's the yagi you got that doesn't come with a balun? Or do you plan to build one yourself?
If you want big frequency range you probably should look at log periodic antennas.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.