TV Distribution amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

I had a Radio Shack DA that worked great. When it got the lightning I bought the exact same one but this one doesn't do as well. I am looking for another one. In my search I am reading about multicouplers, bias, diplexers, etc.
Can you recommend a simple 4 port TV amp?
What is the difference between a $20 TV DA and a $200 multicoupler?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I had a Radio Shack DA that worked great. When it got the lightning I bought the exact same one but this one doesn't do as well. I am looking for another one. In my search I am reading about multicouplers, bias, diplexers, etc.
Can you recommend a simple 4 port TV amp?
What is the difference between a $20 TV DA and a $200 multicoupler?
Did you replace your cabling, too? If not, there is a good chance it was damaged.

Sent using Tapatalk

Ubbe

If it's labeled distribution amplifier then their use are to amplify and split up signals that already have been amplified to a high level using a pre-amp, mast amp, antenna amplifier or whetever they can be called.

Distribution amplifiers do not need to be low noise and often have high internal noise. Antenna amplifiers need to be low noise and preferable be able to handle high signal levels without creating intermodulation problems.

Most distribution amplifiers are still fine and are neccesary if you need to split a signal. I can even use a $15 CATV inline amplifier for satellit dish to improve reception if I connect it between coax and scanner if I have a variable attenuator between amp and scanner. Seems like most scanners have higher internal noise than cheap CATV amplifiers.

Are you sure that the receivers you are using have survived the strike? What is the problem with the new distribution amplifier, weaker signals or interference? Remember that in almost all cases when using an amplifier you will need to attenuate the signal using a variable attenuator to not overload a receiver, which will either show as ghost frequencies and/or reduced sensitivity. Maybe the new AD gives too much signal and needs to be attenuated.

/Ubbe

scanmanmi

Did you replace your cabling, too? If not, there is a good chance it was damaged.

I didn't think about that but I highly doubt it. It took out my water well and some printers; kind of surprised about the amp since all TVs are ok. We still get all 8 channels except one favorite is very weak now. It's just not as good as the old one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Shac...684910&hash=item33f41811e4:g:EA8AAOSwIMBblbUX

Can I just keep this and add another amp in front of it?

Ubbe

If it took out printers and water well it probably entered thru the power lines. Do the red LED on it have the same brightnes as it used to be? Maybe the power supply inside it doesn't give the correct voltage. Can you open it up and check with a voltmeter if the DC voltage seems ok, if there are any markings telling what it should be, and doesn't show anything when you check AC voltage.

What happens if you adjust the gain between low to max? Do you see any changes or does it seem to not work at all?

You can add a preamp and see what happens. If the specs are true this seems like terrific amplifier: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-15...-Ultra-Low-Noise-High-Gain-Boost/253108870069

/Ubbe

Ubbe

If your frequencies that you receive fall into the television band then its probably ok.

"Blocks LTE interference from 3G/4G Smartphones and transmitters
EMI & FM Out of band filtering (Does not pass FM signals) "

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.