NASCAR & DCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jened

I'm interested in the Radio Shack PRO-99 and read it only supports CTSS codes but not DCS. I'm really only interested in this scanner for NASCAR races - will this be a big deal? I tried to do some searches here and on google but couldn't really come up with something concrete. Thanks for any responses.

GottIstGutig

No, most all radios comms. still use CTCSS, but in the future I'm sure there will be more DCS. I don't think Nascar would use DCS, but don't quote me...

toydriver_det

Premium Subscriber
GottIstGutig said:
No, most all radios comms. still use CTCSS, but in the future I'm sure there will be more DCS. I don't think Nascar would use DCS, but don't quote me...
I'm going to quote anyway :)
NASCAR will not start using DCS as their number 1 vender of radios has sold 1000's of radios (or maybe a few hundred) to fans and there would be a lot of unhappy Racing Fans if they made that kind of change. I don't about you but the last thing I want to do is get a tanked up NASCAR fan upset.

Toydriver
I AM a NASCAR fan but I'm not allowed to get tanked-up anymore :-(

rtripp

Even if they do go DCS, you can recieve DCS with a non-DCS reciever. My local police dept (St. Joseph, MI) uses DCS, and I can hear them with my Icom IC-T7H.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
:D Some teams use DCS just get a Pro 92B. Works for me. The frequencies are shared with others so CTCSS & DCS are important at the track. Also get a good set of headphones.

rtripp

How common is spying on the other teams' radio comms by certain teams?

n4voxgill

Silent Key
First, Sprint did not buy Nextel, the two companies are merging. The following is part of a recent joint announcment concerning this and NASCAR. The name Nextel is not going away as you see in the announcment Nextel will prominently promoted. I would be surprised if they change the race name from Nextel.

SPRINT AND NEXTEL COMMUNICATIONS ANNOUNCE NEW
BRANDING AND LOGO TO BE USED BY COMBINED COMPANY
Broad market appeal of Sprint brand to lead combined company’s go-to-market presence;
Nextel to be prominently promoted as a product-line

OVERLAND PARK, Kan., and RESTON, Va. ― June 23, 2005 ― Sprint (NYSE: FON) and Nextel Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: NXTL) today announced details surrounding the brand strategy and logo to be used upon completion of the companies’ merger, expected in the third quarter of 2005, pending shareholder and regulatory approvals. The new go-to-market brand name of the combined Sprint Nextel will be Sprint, with the Nextel name continuing as a key product brand

NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series ™
The new company will be committed to its partnership with NASCAR and its more than 75 million fans. The NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series ™ will maintain its current series branding through 2006, and decisions regarding the series name and branding beyond that season are expected to be made prior to the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series season opener in 2006.

MarkEagleUSA

n4voxgill said:
NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series ™
The new company will be committed to its partnership with NASCAR and its more than 75 million fans. The NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series ™ will maintain its current series branding through 2006, and decisions regarding the series name and branding beyond that season are expected to be made prior to the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series season opener in 2006.
The marketing guys are gonna have a field day with this... currently we have "The Chase for the NEXTEL Cup"... that'll be replaced by "The Sprint for the NEXTEL Cup" :!: :wink:

toydriver_det

Premium Subscriber
rtripp said:
Everybody is listening in on everybody else and then you add the media and the fans and nothing is not monitored by someone. Even NASCAR will listen in after an on track incident to the drivers involved. It's a big selling point of the sport. It is also why teams will talk in code or say things that are not true "Bring it in on the next lap" just to mess with other teams.
Toydriver

VegasCorbin

toydriver_det said:
rtripp said:
Everybody is listening in on everybody else and then you add the media and the fans and nothing is not monitored by someone. Even NASCAR will listen in after an on track incident to the drivers involved. It's a big selling point of the sport. It is also why teams will talk in code or say things that are not true "Bring it in on the next lap" just to mess with other teams.
Toydriver

Just to add to this, a couple of weeks ago or so (don't remember which race) TV reported that a crew chief asked the spotter if he had his cell phone with him (Don't know if it was Nextel or not :D ).

TV then showed the crew chief talking on his phone. When they asked about it the chief said that there were too many people listening to the radio.

Voyager

jened said:
I'm interested in the Radio Shack PRO-99 and read it only supports CTSS codes but not DCS. I'm really only interested in this scanner for NASCAR races - will this be a big deal? I tried to do some searches here and on google but couldn't really come up with something concrete. Thanks for any responses.

You can always program the channel without the DCS. You will still hear everthing you would if you had it programmed in. The only difference is that you may hear other users of the same frequency, too.

Joe M.

bsavery

n4voxgill said:
First, Sprint did not buy Nextel, the two companies are merging.

So Sprint is paying Nextel 35 billion for ...???

They can call it whatever they want, but where I come from, when you pay money to someone for something, your buying it.

Well... that or renting it! :D

Bob

n4voxgill

Silent Key
They did not pay Nextel anything. Each company had about the same valuation of 35.5 billion. The two were combined with sprint shareholders receiving 1 share of Sprint Nextel stock for each share of Sprint stock held. Nextel shareholders will receive 1.3 shares of Sprint Nextel stock for each share of Nextel stock they hold.

There was an old reuters news story that said the buy out, but the SEC filings since then show a pure merger, no money changing hands, stock issued as described.

jened

thanks for the responses everyone. also i think i read last week just the logo is changing and it's still going to be called nextel.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Enough! :shock:

The original poster got his answer long ago. The rest of you hi-jackers will have to find another topic to discuss business mergers. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.