PGA Tour/NBC Mic Remotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
A few years ago I had some freqs for NBC Sports PGA Tour on course camera mic remotes. This was very cool, heard all the golfers talking all time. I lost them. Any suggestions?
Jim D

Audiodave1

Database Admin
The freq's change year to year and event to event. You'll have to search the 470-698 band to find them again. 25Khz steps, FM mode.

Note that the broadcast world is starting to embrace digital transmission wireless systems in this same band which a scanner cannot decode so don't be too surprised when you come across these signals.

Dave

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
I live close to one of the PGA courses and I can usually pick up some of the transmissions.
I found one frequency where you could receive the television broadcast audio for Golf channel/NBC along with the production staff giving cues, some of the commercial break commentary was pretty interesting.

The course official who have radios all have rental units from a local communication company, and change from event to event.

I don't have any of the frequencies documented, but all were UHF mostly in the 450-470MHz range.

ecps92

Scan New England TPC

I live close to one of the PGA courses and I can usually pick up some of the transmissions.
I found one frequency where you could receive the television broadcast audio for Golf channel/NBC along with the production staff giving cues, some of the commercial break commentary was pretty interesting.

The course official who have radios all have rental units from a local communication company, and change from event to event.

I don't have any of the frequencies documented, but all were UHF mostly in the 450-470MHz range.

brin831

actually you'll want to just scan the 450-512 range ... pga or most golf in general uses the same wireless provider that does most motor sports and they use moto radios for most everything ... director to talent wireless comms, camera comms, etc etc

you may hear the mics but its not actually the mic frequency your hearing just the audio rebroadcast for various tv people to listen to ... the mics will be in the 470 to 698 range but are usually very low power 50-250 mw and may be picked up by your scanner but lots of mics have gone digital now ...

they coordinate with fcc and get temp. licenses for the events that's why frequencies can change from year to year

they use mostly low power couple watts at most and directional antennas which is more than adequate for couple miles transmitting that is necessary to cover a golf course all are usually 12.5 khz spaced channels.

check the links for some pics

http://www.broadcastsportsinc.com/media/6505/wireless communication systems main.jpg

http://www.broadcastsportsinc.com/media/5352/uhfrepeaters.jpg

i've worked with the guys extensively they are great, very knowledgeable

enjoy !

W2NJS

Rental radios, where and when used, are or legally should be covered by the FCC Private Carrier License which is obtained by the rental company. All of the NFL radio comms are now encrypted using Telex equipment, Telex having been the first wireless mic manufacturer to offer encryption more than ten years ago. A PSR-800 would be a great unit to carry at a PGA event to find who's using what channel; just set it to UHF only and let 'er rip.

mkewman

Check the 700mhz frequencies as well, newer radio-mics are being sold in the 700mhz area.

Also, do a license search for your area under NBC, Comcast, PGA, Golf Channel, etc. You may find some of the frequencies there for radio mics and two way communications. Out here, ESPN has licensed frequencies that they use on one of the lakes for sporting events.

brin831

actually no wireless mics are used in 700 mhz ...

Wireless Microphones | FCC.gov

what is new is 900/2.4 and higher freq. mics ... lots of stuff getting away from traditional analog fm which has been used for years ...

lots of times the mics are transmit locally to a receiver which is then sent back over microwave link with wireless camera video to a central receive location

although ditto on the license search sometimes you can find temporary licenses for specific events

mkewman

actually no wireless mics are used in 700 mhz ...

Wireless Microphones | FCC.gov

what is new is 900/2.4 and higher freq. mics ... lots of stuff getting away from traditional analog fm which has been used for years ...

lots of times the mics are transmit locally to a receiver which is then sent back over microwave link with wireless camera video to a central receive location

although ditto on the license search sometimes you can find temporary licenses for specific events

Apologies, this is correct. What I meant to say is that 2.4 ghz is the new choice for broadcasters (not 700... i got 'em mixed up)

You will no-longer hear a lot of 700mhz mics, although it's worth scanning the 700mhz band once or twice in case someone is still using an (illegal and) outdated system. end users in the industry don't always keep up on the fcc rules for such low-powered devices.

brin831

i agree about the 700 mhz mics still being used ... working in the industry i still see it more often than i should especially from bands, lower level production companies, and various venues ... the worst situation comes when using inner ear monitor rf transmitters ... whats worse about this is it could potentially harm reception of other licensed devices ... shame on anyone still using 700 mhz because it was known for years that that band was going away even if no one said it for sure.

the iem's are the worst because most can transmit up to 100/200/250 mw and then most add a directional antenna helical or yagi ... 8 db plus gain ... you end up talking about a significant radiated power that could cause real interference to sensitive receivers of other licensed equipment

a neat product that has been used that i doubt you scanner will be able to catch is the following ... its licensed and has been used at the super bowl nascar and many other major events see link below:

Broadcast Sports Inc. (BSI) • BSI MIC1500 Wireless Microphone

wish i had more info on its technology ...

Is the world famous Hugh Dilson still the EIC for a BSI truck? Haven't seen him in years.

As for listening to the booth announcers we used 450-451 and 455-456 freqs back when I was a freelance RF1/2 for ESPN and ABC, I still hear those freqs used at races and other events I work.

Those freqs are usually on a 200' crane in the middle of the course so it's much easier to hear them than the 250 mW mics the course announcers and FX mics use.

Status
Not open for further replies.